• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

reloading equipment storage

thejim2

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2012
new york, USA
I just moved into a new house and planned on setting up my reloading bench in the basement. Given the properties of basements (damp, furnace, hot water tank, etc.), are there any problems with setting up my bench in the basement, about 15-20 feet away from the furnace and hot water tank.

-Is there any risk of igtion of fumes from gun powder or cleaning solvents?

-Any risk of humidity destroying my powder and stocked ammo?

-Should I get a de-humidifyer? If so what setting should it be on and do you have any recomendations on which kind.

-Should I store my ammo, powder, primes, etc. in airtight containers? If so do you have any recomendations on which ones or where to buy them.

Thanks for the help, Jim

Re: reloading equipment storage

If it's damp, do yourself a favor and get a dehumidifier. I would also put a light coat of oil on any exposed (unpainted) metal parts like dies, presses until you're sure there is no moisture.

Ammo, primers and powder stored upstairs as moisture is no friend to those especially over time. Just don't keep the primers right next to the powder for obvious reasons.

I live in a damp area and even my SS barrels get some rust on them if not lubed up often enough.

Get a good size dehumidifier work grate in my basement.no problems

Yeah, I wouldn't keep anything downstairs. The driest place is upstairs for me. Wettest is down because, well, water leaks downward and then when it heats up the humidity can get pretty sticky. I'm in the desert though, I couldn't even imagine trying to store anything in a high humidity area like Georgia. Yeesh. How do you guys down that way get by?

While I built my new house, I stored my equipment in a storage shed. High humidity got to it. Rust on everything. I lost a couple sets of dies to rust.
My new facilities are in the basement, with a de-humidifier that will remove up to two or three quarts a day of moisture. Works good
My presses still have some rust on them, so I have a lot of work to do .....someday.