• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Failure

Babo

Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Austin, TX
From an email...

Overload stupidity!

A guy came into our department the other day to ask a favor.
He had a S&W 629 .44 Magnum, that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range.

He said there was a loud bang when he tested <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">his new load</span></span></span> and the gun smacked him in the forehead, leaving a nice gash.
When the tweety birds cleared, this is what he saw.....

fail1.jpg

fail2.jpg

fail3.jpg

fail4.jpg

Re: Reloading Failure

Wow... he's a lucky man. I've seen overloads when using powders like Bullseye that don't fill a case. The 44 mag with say.... 2400... makes it pretty apparent when you over charge in most cases.

Look at the bright side. He got a clean and strong crimp on that bullet in the second picture
grin.gif

Some people are too f$&king stupid to own/operate/reload firearms.

If you reload for a number of years there is a good chance you will goof up.

Years ago i fired my 22-250 only to realize that the bullet was lodged in the barrel just ahead of the chamber - no powder.

My son came to me one day to show me one of my reloads that did not fit in his Ruger Super Blackhawk. Somehow i put two bullets in one case. Fortunately the expanded case did not fit in the chamber.

After reloading a batch of 30/06 cast bullet loads i normally shake each cartridge to verify that they contain a powder charge. This one cartridge was heavy but i did not hear/feel the powder when i shook the cartridge. After using an enertia bullet puller i found two 200 grain cast bullets in the case.

In the last two examples i was loading ammo on a Dillon 550B. I assume i got distracted or stopped the process to do something 'impotant' and forgot where i was and GOOFED.

That is a big lesson.
He is lucky to be able to walk away from that one.
Real lucky

Guy is lucky he didn't seriously hurt himself or someone else at the range with that stupidity.

Polish- tempting ethnic ribbings aside
wink.gif
perhaps you need to develop some more safety measures/guality control checks before you hurt yourself, your son, or someone else. Simply weighing your cartridges after loading would definitely alert you to the fact that you have skipped powder or doubled bullets rather than relying on the specs of your weapon to save you.