• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Federal Brass

sunburned

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2009
Buncombe County, NC
I shot some .308 Federal 165 grain factory ammo that had a shiny (nickel?) finish instead of the usual brass colored finish. Is this brass good to reload?

Re: Reloading Federal Brass

I've had the nickel finish chip off after trimming. I don't want a piece of nickel getting pushed down the barrel in front of a bullet or UNDER a bullet. Nickel is a VERY hard metal. I'd be very careful if you choose to trim them after several reloads. Personally, I avoid them.
John

Hard on your dies...hard on your trimmer blade. I don't think they last for as many reloads. They are easy to find on the forest floor after shooting your deer. I personally only use them for hunting loads. JMHO

If you kill a bear in PA you have to bring you expended shell with you when you check in the animal. The FINE is 200 - 300.00 dollars!
Soo never mind that pissed off bear charging yo ass, where'd that brass go????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Acehigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you kill a bear in PA you have to bring you expended shell with you when you check in the animal. The FINE is 200 - 300.00 dollars!
Soo never mind that pissed off bear charging yo ass, where'd that brass go???? </div></div>

How would the inspector know if that particular piece of brass was the one used to kill the bear? Seems like any piece of brass the same caliber as the one used to kill the bear would work.

Thanks for the replys and the link, which I quote:

". In this regard, reloaded nickel cases remains unsurpassed in their ability to identify a rifle reloader that remains uniquely clueless"

Bronco,
That's exactly what we have seen done in the past. Sometimes it may not even be the same caliber or so I've been told. The whole issue seems to be trash in forest. I was told it stemmed from shotgun hulls????
YMMV,
John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Acehigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bronco,
That's exactly what we have seen done in the past. Sometimes it may not even be the same caliber or so I've been told. The whole issue seems to be trash in forest. I was told it stemmed from shotgun hulls????
YMMV,
John </div></div>

That's the most dumbassed reason I've heard of in my life... however, the PA DNR wouldn't surprise me if they did that.

To the OP:

Out of the few stuck cases that I've had, all but 1 of them were from nickle rifle brass stuck in the FL sizing die.

I take the nickel 06 brass and cut it off at the shoulder with the lathe to make brass for the wildcat my dad and I made. It gets reloaded with 44mag carbide dies and that's the only way I've NOT stuck nickel cases with alarming repeatability.

You cannot resize .30-06 brass with 44 mag carbide dies.

Nickeled plated 45 Colt brass does not seem to last as long as unplated brass.

I don't notice any difference in case life when using 38 super brass nickel plated or not.

When unnickeled cartridges are carried in a leather ammo case verigris discolors the cases. I notice this when i place cartridges in my Swedish Mauser ammo belt.