• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading for 338 Snipetac and 375 Cheytac

Hill Top

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2022
Australia
Hi fellas new member here

I have acquired a new rifle that has both 375 Cheytac and 338 Snipetac barrels

I am in Australia so components are not easy to come by, I do have access to CEB, Berger, Sierra and our local Outer Edge Projectiles

Brass options are Peterson or Bertram, the package comes with 50 cases of Bertram for each chamber, I will use that for the moment before I decide if I swap it for Peterson, one place has Cheytac brand brass but it is a silly price so I won’t be looking at that I don’t think

Since these cartridges are not standard they are not in any of my reloading books

Can some people that are shooting these cartridges offer some starting loads, what primers are you using, what projectiles are working

I have been advised by some one that I respect to load Retumbo for the 375 and H50 for the 338 (our ADI AR2225 and AR2218)

The 338 barrel is a 32” 9.4 twist Benchmark carbon Viersco taper, the 375 is a 32” Lilja and I believe a 10 twist

I was going to start with the 300gr Atip for the 338, I do have heaps of 300gr SMK’s for my EDGE but think they will be better suited for that

The 375 Atips I can’t find locally, so looking at CEB 350gr MTH, or 350gr SMK if I can find them (no luck so far)

Use for the rifle will be gongs at distance and also long range deer from a stationery observation position, this is what holds most of my shooting interest these days

Cheers for any helpful advice

Hi fellas new member here

I have acquired a new rifle that has both 375 Cheytac and 338 Snipetac barrels

I am in Australia so components are not easy to come by, I do have access to CEB, Berger, Sierra and our local Outer Edge Projectiles

Brass options are Peterson or Bertram, the package comes with 50 cases of Bertram for each chamber, I will use that for the moment before I decide if I swap it for Peterson, one place has Cheytac brand brass but it is a silly price so I won’t be looking at that I don’t think

Since these cartridges are not standard they are not in any of my reloading books

Can some people that are shooting these cartridges offer some starting loads, what primers are you using, what projectiles are working

I have been advised by some one that I respect to load Retumbo for the 375 and H50 for the 338 (our ADI AR2225 and AR2218)

The 338 barrel is a 32” 9.4 twist Benchmark carbon Viersco taper, the 375 is a 32” Lilja and I believe a 10 twist

I was going to start with the 300gr Atip for the 338, I do have heaps of 300gr SMK’s for my EDGE but think they will be better suited for that

The 375 Atips I can’t find locally, so looking at CEB 350gr MTH, or 350gr SMK if I can find them (no luck so far)

Use for the rifle will be gongs at distance and also long range deer from a stationery observation position, this is what holds most of my shooting interest these days

Cheers for any helpful

Dave Viers built me a 338 Snipetac around 2005-6 ish. Titanium action, 33” carbon barrel. Carbon stock repeater. 15 1/2 points scoped. My load is 300 grain Berger, 140 grains 50 BMG, 3400 fps. Bertram brass. Shoots .5” moa. Fast and flat Killing machine. I Never tried any other loads. It Would be a waste of time. Start your loads at 135 grains to be safe.

Dave Viers built me a 338 Snipetac around 2005-6 ish. Titanium action, 33” carbon barrel. Carbon stock repeater. 15 1/2 points scoped. My load is 300 grain Berger, 140 grains 50 BMG, 3400 fps. Bertram brass. Shoots .5” moa. Fast and flat Killing machine. I Never tried any other loads. It Would be a waste of time. Start your loads at 135 grains to be safe.
What is your barrel life like on the 338 snipetac?

Bertram bass is fine. I still use it in preference to pederson. It has significantly larger capacity and if you don’t overload it the pockets stay strong. It does not have the problems with split necks that Jameson did, but I still O’Neal sic(anneal) after every firing.

For the 350 class bullets in the 375 you’re going to want retumbo or N570 or reload or 33. For the 390 grain bullets you’re going to want a 50 Cal powder if you can find them. I have not shot snipetac so I’m the wrong person for those recommendations.

For 350 grain bullets in the 375, approximately 130 g of Retumbo will get you close

You optimally want a federal 215 M primer but if you can’t find one a CCI 250 will probably work unless it’s really cold out

Last edited:
Reactions: 232593
What is your barrel life like on the 338 snipetac?
My barrel is a rock creek carbon fiber. FYI I only use the gun to hunt. So I’m sure all the dirt didn’t help. I probably got
4-500 rounds out of it. My barrel had a large shank. So I had the barrel re-reamed. Still shoots .5. Also I didn’t loose hardly any speed. Awesome gun. In my opinion the 338 snipetac is the fastest, flattest, hardest hitting round there is in a rifle (while heavy) you can carry. I now shoot a 7 ultra. It Has similar results with half the weight.

I have a straight 338-408 cheytac.

my current petload is 130.0 of h50bmg with a 300 grain smk for 3150 fps out of a 34” bbl. it’s a mild load that gives me great es/sd.

i got up to 140.0 grains which gave me 3,300 fps but started seeing some pressure signs so i called that max.

i would personally start at 130.0 grains in your snipetac with a false shoulder and jammed lands to fireform.

my plan is to play around with some a tips and bergers as well as vihtavuori 20n29 and see if if i can take advantage of the slower burn rate with my long barrel.

For your 375 cheytac, retumbo is definitely the go to for the lighter 350’s and h50 for the 400’s.

as far as load data i don’t have any personal experience, but there is plenty of online info available on the forums