• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading for 338LM Desert Tech - New 26" Barrel

PJT

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2020
UK
Hi, as a prelude, with things being what they are at the moment best of health to all and speedy recovery to those of you who may have not be in the best of health.

I have purchased a 338 LM Barrel (conversion Kit) for my Desert Tech and would appreciate a bit of feedback about my intended course of action, to minimise the potential of wasted time. It is my intention to reload for this Barrel using Lapua Cases & 300gn Scenar, CCI magnum Primers and RS76 Powder. (In early DT literature The Scenars were identified as being used in the Desert Tech Factory ammunition)

Desert Tech do not appear to promote any particular Barrel Beak-in procedure, but I was going to carry out one anyway, whilst simultaneously getting the rounds onto paper, monitoring elevation change, grouping and velocity/es and monitoring for signs of pressure.
It is understood that as the Barrel wears in Velocities will change but the hope is that I may be able to get an initial load that the Barrel will like.

Intend making up a series of rounds going from 86gns up in 0.5 gn increments, 3 rounds per increment.
the first ten rounds as 1/clean
then 5/clean, 5/clean
I have picked up a couple of recipes off the Forum and using these as a guide. Also Quickload.
Appreciate any advice
Phil