• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading for 6.8 SPC?

Opiy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Is anyone doing it? Are you able to find brass? Bullet heads?

I have seen that Hornady, Barnes, Remington, and I think couple others make components for it so I was wondering about availability.

I was considering getting an AR in 6.8spc but its newness worries me.

How is the price of reloading it compared to doing the .223 and .308?

Thanks
Larry

Re: Reloading for 6.8 SPC?

I got a bunch of Rem brass from Cabelas a few months ago. I just backordered it and one day it showed up. Same with Sierra 90gr HP. Reloading cost is closer to 308 than 223. I shoot h322 and get .5moa in a 18" WOA barrel from Denny's.

Silver State Armory makes the better brass. However it uses a small rifle primer whereas the Remington brass uses a large rifle primer pocket. If you are planning on buying a 6.8 SPC rifle with the intent of reloading you should seriously consider purchasing a barrel with the improved chamber and twist rate, and NOT the SAAMI spec 1/10" barrel. That twist rate is for a .270 Winchester and not ideal for the 6.8 SPC.

Check out http://www.ar15performance.com/ and http://www.titanarmory.net/. These 2 guys are pushing the envelope for performance in the 6.8 SPC. Factory Remington loads in a SAAMI chamber typically peak around 2550FPS with a 110gr bullet but with a barrel with the new chamber and bore configuration you can get 3000fps out of your loads with the same amount of chamber pressure. This is achieved by cutting the chamber with a longer throat which allows some of the pressure to be alleviated upon firing, the slower twist + shallower grooves in the barrel also reduce pressure allowing the cartridge to be loaded hotter and still kept within safe pressure levels. These barrels are cut with 1/11.25" 5R, 1/12", and 1/13" 3 groove button rifling as opposed to the 6 groove 1/10" factory left over .270 winchester barrels Remington decided to use. The 90gr TNT and 85gr TSX bullets are really smoking out of these barrels now. They have reported 3200fps with the 85gr TSX out of a 16" barrel.

For what it is worth,
I have been reloading 6.8 for my AR for some time now. I have been using SSA brass, with Sierra 110gr pro hunters, have had a lot of luck using H335. My AR is a 20" and is mainly used for removing pigs.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crooks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For what it is worth,
I have been reloading 6.8 for my AR for some time now. I have been using SSA brass, with Sierra 110gr pro hunters, have had a lot of luck using H335. My AR is a 20" and is mainly used for removing pigs.

Good luck
</div></div>

what kind of FPS are you getting?

what kind of FPS are you getting?

2500-2600, it has been a while since I chronographed it.
I will say this, i can load a mag up with SSA with the 110 Sierra ph's and a mag with my loads and they are with in an inch @ 100 yards
I will check some of my old data and get back with you

Don't have cost in front of me, a bit more than 223 but less than or the same as 308 would be a guess.

I use Remington brass (large primer) & 115SMK pills.

Haven't had a chance to chrono it yet cause I left my chrony in Kommiefornia last time I was in the bay area.

Been using Reloder-7 and H322..preferred powders among shooters seems to be Re-7 and H335. I have loaded 110gr Sierra pro hunter, 110gr hornady vmax, 85gr and 110gr barnes tsx. One day 'll get them through the chronograph.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been using Reloder-7 and H322..preferred powders among shooters seems to be Re-7 and H335. I have loaded 110gr Sierra pro hunter, 110gr hornady vmax, 85gr and 110gr barnes tsx. One day 'll get them through the chronograph. </div></div>

How many gr of the 322? I picked up a couple of pounds the other day, but have not really looked into the data on it for the 6.8?

27.5gr H322 for the 110gr bullets seated for an OAL of 2.250", this was in the remington brass with the large rifle primer pockets. I used WLR primers. This was loaded for a 1/10" SAAMI spec barrel. I'll get chrono data eventually, got a lot on my plate so to speak.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been using Reloder-7 and H322..preferred powders among shooters seems to be Re-7 and H335. I have loaded 110gr Sierra pro hunter, 110gr hornady vmax, 85gr and 110gr barnes tsx. One day 'll get them through the chronograph. </div></div>

what are you using with the 85gr tsx?

30gr Re-7 for the 85gr TSX. That is a fairly hot load so work up to it.

I saw a thread on another forum that a guy seemed to have done a good bit or work with the 6.8spc and he used the H322 powder also.

How well does this round do with a 14.7 or 16" barrel out to say 100 yards?

Barrel specific...SAAMI spec 1/10" 16" barrel will get you up to about 2550-2600fps with a 110gr bullet. A DMR chamber 1/11" 3 groove can take the 110gr bullet up to 3000fps..but don't quote me on that figure. Accuracy is great at 100 yards, sub-MOA. The 6.8SPC is a pretty efficient cartridge so you don't lose much velocity out of the shorter barrels.

I got this from the guy who owns AR Performance (Harrison Beene)
30.5 gr of RE 10X or 32gr of H335 behind Sierra 110gr Pro hunters loaded to 2.3"
Barnes 110gr TSX loaded to 2.305"
Nosler 110gr Accubond loaded to 2.305"

"Those are HOT loads so be careful if you go any higher, all of those loads will produce 2850fps from a 20" 2750 fps from a 16"."

He built my 6.8 upper with a Pac Nor match 16" Barrel. I was surprised at how accurate that rifle is.