• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading for a 45/70

Hobo Hilton

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Asking for my son.. He inherited a Davide Pedersoli, Sharps with a 32"barrel. It had spent most of it's life in a safe but was shot some. He had to do some work on the firing pin. It is now operational and he has started to dabble into reloading 45/70. His knowledge of reloading is "mid-level", been at it for about 2 years, was an 82nd Airborne armour, recently built a 270AI, range on his property.........

A few of the things he shared with me.
He has some powder but would like some input on using something that is currently available.
Has some 305 grain bullets.
Has some IMR 5744
Season in his area allows primitive hunting for deer.
His stand is set up to take a shot from around 225 - 300 yards.

Anything I should pass on to him ?

Thanks

It is an underrated PRS round.

Personally, I've had more success with the Hammer solids. Which were stupid easy to tune. 300 yards with moderate velocity on a 305 FN bullet has the trajectory of a coke can. The extra speed from the lighter Hammers help. Ymmv.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I am running imr4198 with a 325 hornady ftx. It is a good powder and is available right now. There are 3 levels of load data for the 45-70, trapdoor, marlin and modern rifle loads. With the Sharps rifle, stick to the trapdoor loads. The marlin and modern rifle loads are way to high pressure.

I am running imr4198 with a 325 hornady ftx. It is a good powder and is available right now. There are 3 levels of load data for the 45-70, trapdoor, marlin and modern rifle loads. With the Sharps rifle, stick to the trapdoor loads. The marlin and modern rifle loads are way to high pressure.
You can shoot full power smokeless 45-70 in a sharps style falling block according to Shiloh. I dont see the pedersoli being any different. Far stronger than the Marlin imo.

405g cast at 1300fps will kill anything you hit well and be easy on you lol.

I dont know about the rifle in question as far as pressure, but using a good bc bullet that expands at low speed, like the barnes offering, will whomp deer and fly pretty well without loading hot.

Flat nosed cast bullets smack them too but they cant compete with the BC offered by the fancy stuff for long shots.

Last edited: