• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading for night vision

Heimdall

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2010
Iowa
I got the PSL out and my Ruski night scope for a little night trigger time this weekend, It was short lived. Lets just say theres no point in a night scope when your lighting up the whole valley. Question, does any one have any good recommendations for a low flash powder? I would like a better flash hider than I got, well its the factory brake so any recommendations wold be appreciated.

So far all I got is to de load some .308 TAP ammo and use the powder and projectiles in my 54R. I can lob .308 in my PSL it has a tight bore and loves the 110g 308 V-max.

Re: Reloading for night vision

Shooting my 223AI at night last winter I was surprised by the very low flash. 80gr.VLD's driven by 25+ gr. of H4895 with a 20" barrel. Just a dull red flash. Certainly the most NV friendly in my experience.

Smith Enterprises Vortex Flash hider....Works very well.

Your NV isn't helping the situation- that thing likely does not have flash protection so you end up in a white out.

big + on this advice.

OP's logic to find the solution is flawed & there reloading search to accommodate there NV rather than the Cartridge Loaded to accommodate there rifle for function & accuracy is just adding you more work that will not pay-off .
problem is muzzle flash & The Fix is simple . they need to ditch the Muzzle Brake & '@ minimum' adopt a .308 Cal. Vortex Flash Hide for a muzzle device .

The vortex will run you about 75.00 last I checked. I've shot with it in complete darkness just to see what the muzzle flash was like. None is visible in the scope when I fire. From the side, the flash is less noticeable than a 22 mag which is very very minimal.

I have a Vortex on the way for my PSL. I'm not just looking to accommodate the NV. I still want to be able to hit my target, just not light up the whole valley in the process. I have a load with IMR 3031 I need to try yet. It should perform well being a fast powder. I'm going to look in to the drop powders to, we can use them elsewhere in our loads so might as well.

Yes it would but I live in an infringed state. Only LEO and dealers, I'd like to change that but I have no idea how. I plan on calling the NRA to find out. Aside from that there's just the issue of weight on a skinny barrel.