• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading for one gun??

Beastinisgr8

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
Well currently I only own one ar15. My plans are to hunt predators and long range shooting. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to reload for this one rifle? The previous owner said it was sub moa with these hand loads.
40gn V-max 26.0 H4895
60gn V-max 25.0 H4895

I planned on getting the lee hand press to start because I do have lots of down time and wouldn't mind spending the time doing it.
Also rifle is a model 1 sales 20" bull barrel 1/9twist .223

Re: Reloading for one gun??

Handloading ammo always provides advantages and these of course go well beyond the savings.

If you're serious about shooting your AR15 then I would suggest you handload. Keep in mind that handloading is a hobby in itself and there is a good deal of satisfaction when your loads provide the accuracy you can't get with factory ammo and experimentation is a big percentage of the fun.

One thing to consider in reloading the 223 is that you can load it to the specs of 22LR, 22Mag, 22Hornet, and up to over 3000 fps. Covers squirrels to deer with one gun.....

it's always nice to "roll your own" when it comes to your guns. As others said you can tailor your load to your rifle and find what it really likes. and you can load to your needs (varmint, deer, HD, etc). Once you stray away from 55-62gr FMJ loads, you can really start to save a lot of money.

Lee reloading setups are a great way to get into it. price is right and decent performance. as you find what you like/need you can upgrade as you go along.

for just over $100 it's a good starter kit:

http://fsreloading.com/catalogs/lee-precision/press-kits.html

The hand press will prove to be tedious. Any of the Lee Classic presses is a heck of a bargain and an excellent place to start.

I wouldn't mind having a hand press to play with and throw under the seat of my Jeep but would recommend moving up to a mounted press for place to start.

Handloading is a hobby in itself, but the goal is to load ammo for shooting not shoot to make brass to reload.

Just a personal choice, but I'd save up for some real reloading equipment. That hand press is gonna be tedious in the extreme. Somebody gave me one for .38 Special once and that's how many times I've used it - once.