• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading for the M1A

TxPride

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
TEXAS!
My Dad was wanting Me to load some rounds for His M1A and I was just looking for loads and pointers for loading for this rifle. Thanks in advance...

*edit*-- Yeah.. long time lurker, but I have been able to find all needed intel without posting much. Great place Y'all have here

Re: Reloading for the M1A

The Hornady Reloading Manual List 308 Loads for the M1A.

But I will throw in what I used for over 30 years,

LC or Winchester Brass, Fed Match Primers. 41.5 Grns of 4895 pushing either a 168 SMKs (or 175 SMKs for 1000 yard Service Rifle Matches).

This is a target load, I dont hunt with a 308, but if that's your intention, stick in a 165 hunting bullet instead of the SMKs.

Thanks Kraig. I should have mentioned that He will be mainly paper punching, so the SMK's are good or even FMJ's for "plinking". I actualy have that hornady book and plan on using those loads to start with, but was just wondering what Y'all were using with good results before I waste cash on random bullets and powder.

Thanks again,
M

I don't have any where near the history that kraigWY has but I have been shooting the M1A for about 15 years. I got my load from the May 1966 American Rifleman and it is very close. Its the original M118 load. Its 42.1gr of IMR 4895 in LC brass with a 175gr Match king. this load shoots well in my M1A.

I stole my load from the AMU when I went to their sniper school in 1977.

It was before M852 came out which is pretty much the same load.

Well here is a second vote for the same load.

41.5 of IMR-4895
Win Brass
Win LR Primer
168 SMK
2.800 OAL

I have shot 1" groups with irons at 100 with my M1A NM. I do not have a scope or the mount to really see what it can do but it works well enough for me.

TxPride,
I don't know your level of reloading experience, but I would definitely take a look at the Zediker information on reloading for the M14/M1a. Great information specifically on reloading for this platform.

It definitely is a different beast to reload for, and takes even more attention to detail than the normal high level required for reloading.

the Zediker info is here in PDF format:
http://www.zediker.com/downloads/m14.html

I have had one case head seperation while reloading for the M1a, and luckily it was in battery.

Make sure your primers are seated fully.

madd0c

Also make sure you keep the brass headspace close to the chamber headspace. No time for an 8 thousandths gap. The M1a will help you create a case head seperation that way. You want about a 3 thousands gap. That'll limit the case stretch.

Zediker will talk about that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney88PDC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well here is a second vote for the same load.

41.5 of IMR-4895
Win Brass
Win LR Primer
168 SMK
2.800 OAL

I have shot 1" groups with irons at 100 with my M1A NM. I do not have a scope or the mount to really see what it can do but it works well enough for me. </div></div>

3rd for the same load only difference is I use Lapua brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney88PDC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well here is a second vote for the same load.

41.5 of IMR-4895
Win Brass
Win LR Primer
168 SMK
2.800 OAL

I have shot 1" groups with irons at 100 with my M1A NM. I do not have a scope or the mount to really see what it can do but it works well enough for me. </div></div>

3rd for the same load only difference is I use Lapua brass. </div></div>

FWIW, I have an M1A Supermatch and, to duplicate the military white box match loads, the one above will duplicate M852 ( with the 168gr SMK ).... funny thing is that if you want to duplicate the M118 white box match load, you use the same specs and load the 175gr SMK. One other thing.... that is with <span style="font-weight: bold">LAKE CITY BRASS</span>. It's thicker so, you will have to alter this if you're using other brass. If you're shooting an M1A, you're best off with Lake city, IMHO.

My recipe is:

175 or 168gr SMK

Lake City ( I have match brass but any lake city is the same except the primer pockets are not crimped and they're not annealed )

IMR 4895 but some substitute H4895... I use IMR

Win LR primers

OAL 2.82 ( works best in my own rifle )

Both loads shoot great in my M1A and they're safe with the op-rod.

I also run the OAL out to 2.82 and that really helps get the accuracy even better.

Be CAREFUL and do not use slow powder as it blooms late in the barrel and produces too much pressure for the op-rod and gets it moving too fast and can damage it.

One additional note, my supermatch is tighly headspaced and, I had to go to small base dies to get them to reliably feed in my rifle.... you really need a gauge to check the brass and make damned sure the brass goes all the way to the bottom of the gauge. FL dies worked but maybe 1 out of 10 would not eject until I went to small based dies.

Rem or Win Brass, Flash holes reamed.
175SMK 2.810" OAL
Fed210M Primer (CCI BR-2 subsitutes nicely)
42.2gr IMR-4064

Will remain supersonic o/o an M1A/M14 out to at least 1000yd, quite accurate, load approaches max. This load can also be used with the 168SMK.

With 150SMK, 155SMK I would up this to 46.1gr of IMR-4064, all other items remaining the same.

Greg