• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Help 2

ryznstr15

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2009
Nevada
Okay so Im not sure if this is a good/bad idea or if I should have done it the first time around however here we go. This morning I took some of the brass I had and chambered or tried to chamber it in my bolt gun. What I noticed was that many of the pieces I was not even able to run the bolt all the way home let alone close it. Any thoughts? I then took those same pieces of brass and ran them through the LEE full length die and still had similar problems. What I did notice was that the case length prior to full length sizing was 2.017 after it was 2.022. I would then trim the brass down to 2.011-2.015 (hand me down hand trimmer)and debur inside and out. I would then place the round into the chamber/throat area and would be able to close the bolt handle however it would still be very stiff. Not smooth at all like with factory ammo? Any thoughts? Thanks for the help again.
-J. Brown

Re: Reloading Help 2

You have a long chamber. Get something to measure your cases from the case head to the datum point on the shoulder. The simplest thing to do is get a Hornady headspace guage and measure a case that has been fired in your chamber BUT NOT SIZED. Measure the cases coming from your dies after full length sizing. The freshly sized cases should be .002" shorter than your fired case from your chamber.

Your problem is that they are the same size or longer.

Its a mix between the two some fired from my rifle and other that has been picked up at the range.

Yah...some of the brass is too long for your chamber, and the sizing die does not bump the shoulder back far enough, OR the base area has expanded and your die doesn't size it down enough.Read some of the posts here about adjusting your dies. You may need a small base die to get the picked up brass to fit your chamber. You have to balance costs for the die v/s savings on brass.