• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading help - 308 168gr ELD-M loads

RJD1972

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2017
Hoping to get some sound advice!

Just picked up a Sako 85 Varmint in 308 and looking to work up a new load using the 168gr ELD-M with ADR 2208 powder (which is the equivalent down here in Oz to Varget and IMR4064).

Rifle has a 23.7" barrel with a 1-11 twist.

Looking primarily to hunt with the load.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
If it’s identical to (or slightly slower than) Varget, start at 42.0, and work up to find your best accuracy node. Most .308 Wins shoot pretty good anywhere from 42.0-44.0 gr. from my experiences.

Depending on how tight your chamber is cut, you might not be able to make it all the way to 44.0, so start low, work up carefully looking for pressure signs. Sometimes tighter chambers produce the same velocities and better groups with lower powder charges, so keep that in mind, too. It’s not always about how much powder you can stuff in there. If you don’t have a Chronograph, I’d recommend getting one. 👍🏼

Most people find 168's to work well somewhere between 43 and 43.5 grains of Varget or IMR 4064. There is a higher node but it's much harder on brass. With the ELD-M this should work. Just work up to that point. With a 23.6" barrel that should get you around 2600-2650 fps.

Reactions: Balor
I am testing the exact same load, my initial testing is pointing between 45-45.5grains of 2208. I started from 44. I do load them a bit longer to 2.9 COAL. Shooting a tikka with a 22" barrel

ill report here how things go.

Not sure if this will be helpful but it is my go to for the 168 shoots amazing out of my LEO spec Savage.
Screenshot (113).png