• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading help for .338 lapua

ringer706

For Sale Access
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2012
TX
Go easy on me, I'm just stepping in to the reloading world and I have a couple of questions. I've been googling and looking around here for a couple hours and I still haven't managed to come up with the right answer.

I am curious where the best place to find specific reloading details for the .338 lapua is. I assume that a manual like lymans 49th ed. would work well, but I want to make sure. I will be using RL 25 powder with 300 gr scenars and I want to make sure that if I get a manual, that I'll have all the information I need (i.e. min/max powder loads, etc.) Also are min/max charges dependent on the powder and bullet weight alone, or does the bullet geometry play a factor as well (e.g. min/max powder using RL25 will be different for a 300 SMK than a 300 scenar?)

The main reason I'd like that info is I don't want to use someone's recipe, rather, I'd like to start from scratch and tailor a load to my new DTA. I read through the stickied guides above so I *think* I have an idea on what's going on in cooking up a load. That, and I'll have a friend who's a seasoned reloader help me get started.

Again, I'm very green to this, but I am learning. Thanks!

Re: Reloading help for .338 lapua

The Lyman #49 would not be a bad start. It lists 250, 275 and 300 grain bullets. It also lists RL25 Powder.
I just checked my load using 300 SMK, and what I am using is the top load using RL25 in the Lyman Manual.

My Hoanady 8th Edition has the Hornady 250 BTHP as well as the 285 BTHP listed. RL25 is listed with the 285 only.

My Sierra Manual lists 250 and 300 SMK, but not using RL25.

Looking like the Lyman 49 might be the best choice for loading data using 300's with RL25.

Hope I have been of some small help.

Bob

That's exactly what I needed, thanks!

One other question though, and I mentioned this in my original post. Bullet weight and powder type held constant, will the charge values vary between say a 300 SMK, or 300 Scenar or 300 berger?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ringer706</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's exactly what I needed, thanks!

One other question though, and I mentioned this in my original post. Bullet weight and powder type held constant, will the charge values vary between say a 300 SMK, or 300 Scenar or 300 berger? </div></div>

You might get some variation, due to the bullets' shapes being slightly different--longer/shorter bearing surfaces, bullets that are .339" and not .338", etc.

Look here:

SnipersHide Reloading Depot

There is some good data there, from early on, when there wasn't much published.

Also, spend some time searching '338LM' in this reloading section. Tons of data here.

Chris

Get a manual - get more than one. There is a lot of information in a manual than just data.

I have a DTA and shot 308 and 338 lapua. I have a tack driver round with the 155 lapua scenars for 308 and the 300 gr lapua for 338.

I use XBR for 308
I use Retumbo for 338.

message me if you want the exact load info.