• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading help Ruger M77 VT 22-250

Maple

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2008
UK resident but work in Florida
Help please.

Somewhile back I bought a Ruger M77 MkII VT in 22-250 which came with a large quantity of factory ammo thrown in.

With these now running out I'm just starting to think about reloads (I already load for a 7mm-08 and have previously loaded 22-250 for a Savage)but either something is wrong - or I am doing something wrong -

With a remy case (untrimmed at 1.905) and Sierra 55gr 1360 bullet (0.35 base to ogive)the on-lands oal is 2.149" - so I'm left with only .106 bullet left in the case!

If I use minimum 75% of bullet the .224 diameter in the case (0.168)then the nearest I can get to the lands is 62 thou?

The rifle is not new but is in good condition, it groups the factory ammo at around 1" at 100 yards (all my shooting is live game so I'm not interested in the absolute n'th degree ultimate groups) but 1" at 200 yards with home loads is what I'd be looking for.

COAL on the Remingtons factory ammo is 2.028 (average) and on Federal Premiums 1.990 (fairly consistent) and the Federals shoot better so it might like the extra (nearly) 40 thou?

Where to start please?

TIA

Re: Reloading help Ruger M77 VT 22-250

My match load for the KM77 VT MKII .22-250 is 34.1gr of IMR4064 with Win/Rem brass, Match primer, and 52gr SMK, OAL 2.350" actual.

55gr HPBT GameKing and 36.0gr of Varget is quite hot, and vaporizes Woodchucks well out beyond 400yd.

The only real problem with the .22-250 is barrel heating. You need to keep the firing cadence as slow as possible.

Greg

22-250's don't have free bore, only throat. The reamer starts out a little over
bore size at the throat and it makes it about impossible to get to the lands with
any of the short bullets. I just had a barrel set back and tight reamed to try and
deal with the same problem. Then the cases were sticking in the rear so I had the
smith just touch it with the reamer. Lost .005 on headspace and .040 on bullet to
lands in the twinkle of the wrist on the reamer. I would love to see someone redesign
a reamer for the 40 to 55 grain bullets.

Thanks for the replies.

I've concluded there is not a lot I can do - but I found there is a guy in the UK shooting the same rifle with best groups at 137 thou off the lands.

I will develop some loads from -75 (to get enough bullet in the case) to -150. As long as it groups (which it does with standard factory ammo anyway) then I will settle with that.

I'm not much of a tweaker - I find best length & load and stick with it.

My main concern was that I was doing something stupid (won't be a first folks!!!)