• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading in a garage

Kevin 53

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
mississippi
I live in north Mississippi and I'm setting up to reload in a garage no heat or air. Will this cause problems in reloading?

Thanks Kevin

Re: Reloading in a garage

Cold in the winter, hot in the summer....sounds comfy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kevin53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in north Mississippi and I'm setting up to reload in a garage no heat or air. Will this cause problems in reloading?

Thanks Kevin </div></div>

My bench is 4 feet from my bed. Apartment life is cramped. Is this bad for my health?
crazy.gif

My reloading set up is in a detached garage. No problems other than a little cold at times. Never really gets that hot in Western WA. May need to take some precautions for moisture though.

I store my powder and primers in the house. My Acculab scale was a little shifty and that might have been because of temps as when the temps were in a comfortable range, the scale seemed to act up less.

Apart from that, you should be fine. Having reloaded in 100 degree weather, I will say that I get miserable and frustrated and have even dropped sweat into charged cases... but you should be ok.

I have never had an issue reloading in my reloading shed out back. I have to say when it is really cold or hot outside I drop powder inside and then seat bullets in my shed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kevin53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in north Mississippi and I'm setting up to reload in a garage no heat or air. Will this cause problems in reloading?

Been doing it this way for 40 years. Works great.

As long as you load all your ammo at the same time, when heat/humidity is the same, your ammo should turn out as good as any. Now, if you loaded a few rounds in summer and a few rounds in the winter, don't be surprised if they shoot differently. I live in Phoenix and 140 degree garage is not my idea of fun in the summer.....laundry room for me.
smile.gif

I'd make sure I COVER everything with a BREATHABLE cover sheet (e.g. cotton) when not actually reloading, as a garage gets VERY dusty very quickly, because of the number of times the big door gets opened, and all the grit that a car brings in, especially when it has been in the rain and then dries off. That dirt will be a serious problem if you don't keep it off the tools.

Jim G

Thanks for the info I have a table in the garage now and my other place is inside and upstairs. I don't care for the stairs and no table. I was thinking of covering equipment with a lite weight cotton sheet and keep powder and primers inside and take them out as I load. I have only loaded shotgun shells several years ago and I just bought my press and some equipment last night for a 6.5 creedmoor. I'm like a kid with a new toy and can't wait to play.

Thanks kevin

Kevin,
For a cover look into HTC machine covers, heavier nylon. Amazon or Woodworkers Supply has them. I cover my table saw and wood lathe with them, work great. You can put a dessicant can under it for more protection.
With wild temp swings that a garage can have, I wouldn't trust a digital scale below 60 degrees.
Dust can be an issue, but I'd be more concerned with rust.
My garage is heated, but it gets hot in the summer, the beer fridge is a lifesaver!

"..reload in a garage no heat or air. Will this cause problems in reloading?"

Depends on your tolerance for heat and cold; anything YOU can endure and live sure won't bother the components or tools.

Maybe I need to setup upstairs. My goal is to load for this rifle 1000 yard shots and tiny groups. My wife said the stairs will do me good. If it might cause me to not do tiny groups I will setup upstairs.

Thanks Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"..reload in a garage no heat or air. Will this cause problems in reloading?"

Depends on your tolerance for heat and cold; anything YOU can endure and live sure won't bother the components or tools.

</div></div>

I would be concerned that the temperature changes could change some of the tool tolerances (metal expands / contracts with temperature increases / decreases that are large enough). This is important when we are delaing with measurements measured down to thousandths or fractions thereof.

Plus temperature changes promote condensation which can cause rapid rusting of critical surfaces (like dies and gages). Notice that all good quality tools and gaages come from the factory coated with anti-rust substances specifically to fight this, and this is also why we store our firearms with the bore oil coated.

Jim G

Another thing to consider is insulating the garage walls and ceiling. That is a one day project, and cheap (mostly your labor).

Then, buy one of those DeLonghi brand "oil filled" heat register heaters at Lowes. Buy one with the digital thermostat that allows setting a "get and hold" temperature (the black colored model that costs $70).

Set the thermostat for 50 degrees or so to minimize the temperature swings, and to dry out the air a bit to help discourage rusting. When you plan to load, raise the setting to 70 degrees a few hours in advance so it is ready when you are. Then, after loading, set it back dwon to 50.

With just R-13 insulation in the walls and ceiling, you will eb surprised how little it costs to heat that garage to 50 degrees in Mississippi, and your loading environment will be MUCH ore stable.

Plus, your wife will love it because it makes the garage more usable for other stuff, and raises the value of the home (these are selling points to mention to yuor wife
smile.gif
).

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kevin53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I need to setup upstairs. My goal is to load for this rifle 1000 yard shots and tiny groups. My wife said the stairs will do me good. If it might cause me to not do tiny groups I will setup upstairs.

I loaded in a woodframe tin covered shop for 20 years (in louisiana) with no ill effects. Did get a light coat of rust on my press when I forgot to spray it with WD40 during periods of non-use, but the rust looks more like a "browned" muzzleloader. No harm to the workings. I kept my dies, powder, primers in an old refrigerator with a light bulb to keep it dry. Along with my welding rods. Po folks got po ways. I now have a man cave in my new shop office which is climate-controlled long as I can pay the light bill. Much better.
All that said, if you can readily move your operation inside then that's what I would do. Helluva lot better to be able to reload without soaking your clothes in sweat. I know how that is for sure.

I've been reloading in a non-insulated garage for about 1.5 years, and I think it's the pits. Prior to that, I had an unfinished basement all to myself, which was FANTASTIC in comparison.

I'm in Michigan, and a "typical" summer day is 85-90º, 75-80% humidity. These conditions cause everything that is steel, to rust. You can't keep on top of it. I tried storing my dies in ziplock baggies with a nice coat of silicone spray or WD40, which helps, but it's a pain to clean them up to use them. Then, if you don't put them away immediately following your reloading session, they rust. Well, its obnoxious to "store" your dies as if they're going to be put away for a long time, only to pull them back out the next day.

Spring/Fall aren't too bad.

Winter is actually not too bad except for the cold. It's pretty dry and things don't rust. One of those "Heat Radar Dish" things pointed at you actually keeps you pretty comfortable.

Bottom line:

You do what you gotta do, but no HVAC is last resort.

Kevin:
I live in central Miss and also load in my separate room off of the garage. I keep it air conditioned (somewhat) in the summer and put a heater on when I am reloading in winter. I'd wouldn't leave my powder or primers outside very long, especially in summer. I think the heat might affect the components more than the cold. Just check your equip. for rust. Welcome to the addiction...

I use to have all the reloading stuff in by bedroom, then I got married and it all got moved to the Garage but I keep the powder and primers in the house so they don't have all the temp and humidity swings. The price we pay for being married!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aojones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use to have all the reloading stuff in by bedroom, then I got married and it all got moved to the Garage but I keep the powder and primers in the house so they don't have all the temp and humidity swings. The price we pay for being married! </div></div> we have been married for 34 years I wouldn't have it any other way. She will let me setup in a room upstairs so I think thats where I'm going. Weather man said rain all day tomorrow so table building tomorrow for upstairs.

Thanks Kevin

Heat causes powder and primer chemicals to deterioate but within the limits of human tolerance there is little to be concerned about for tens of years. And no chemical cares about temperature swings, all that matters to chemicals is the peak and average high temps.