• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

reloading M1A ?

rls

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2009
Akron, Ohio
Can someone tell me a good powder to use while loading for an M1A. I will be loading 165 sierra game kings and 175 DRT's.

Re: reloading M1A ?

Welcome to the Hide. Come on in and join the many and varied conversations.

If you know something about a given thread post your experience. If not, you're welcome to sit back and absorb what you wish.

Most of us older folk really appreciate it if you fill out your profile if you haven’t already.

Once again, nice to have you here.

Check out Hornady 7th. It has a section on service rifles.

I always had excellent results with W748. It is somewhat temperature sensitive - that's the downside to it.

Try 41.4-42.0 grains of IMR-4895 with the 165; that was 'the load' used with the 168 Sierra MK for across-the-course high-power competition for many, many years.

Ditto that.

I used 42.2gr of IMR-4064, Fed Gold Medal Match Primer, Rem .308 brass, and the 175SMK loaded to an OAL of 2.815". For anything but match loads, the Win WLR primer is fine, but may require a (very) slight reduction in charge weight to preserve peak accuracy.

Whatever primer you use, be certain that each round has its primer seated flush or maybe a little bit below flush; as long as you can achieve this without really mashing the primer.

The 168SMK <span style="font-style: italic">should</span> work fine with the same recipe, and if not, a slight increase (along the order of within .5gr) in charge weight might optimize accuracy.

F/L resize each time, use the Small Base dies only if the rifle refuses to function reliably without it.

Add a crimp only if the rifle asks for it. How does it ask? Load several mags without a crimp. Fire the whole mag except the last round, but let it chamber first. Then extract it and measure OAL. If its not where it was when you loaded it, you need a crimp.

Greg