• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading magnum calibers on Dillon 550b???

paindoc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2008
Peoples Republic of Michigan
Thoughts from experienced reloaders on using a Dillon 550b for magnum calibers. I have fairly good success while reloading for my 308 (powder selection and technique are key), but can someone comment on relaoding the 338 Lapua Magnum?

Re: Reloading magnum calibers on Dillon 550b???

i cant comment on the 338, as i dont load it but i tried loading 300WM in mine and it was very tight for getting the bullet in the case( barely enough heighth room to get the bullet into the case mouth) so i stopped using it and use my turret press for anything that long. the dillon powder measure is ok for throwing imr 4350 but longer grain powders give it a little more variance than i like

I use the 550 for 338LM. The stroke is long enough but I had my Redding seating die trimmed a few thousands because of the sleeve.

Was there anything specific you were looking into on using this press?

Actually I am a bit worried about powder/charge accuracy. ( I have already many excellent forums on this already) as well as the ability for the dillon to even handle the bullet seating.

I use the RCBS Chargemaster for 338LM because I shoot very hot loads (98grs Retumbo) for 250grs Moly'ed Scenars.

If you polish and clean up the powder measure I can get within +/- 0.1 grns with a good powders and +/- 0.3 grns with extruded (lincoln logs) such as 4064/Varget, that's what I use for 308.

+1 for polishing the powder bar on the Dillon measure.

An hour making sure all the contact points are butter smooth pays big dividends in getting more accurate throws.