• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading manuals

SIG383

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2010
South Hill/Puyallup, WA
I am planning on starting to reload once I get back home from Iraq. Was wondering on what reloading manuals and books are good to learn with. I want to read as much about it as I can, so when I do get home and get my stuff, I'll be a lil ahead of the game. Thanks.

John

Re: Reloading manuals

The Lyman's Centerfire Manual, right now the 49th edition is the latest. That one has 2 or 3 times the usable information of any 2 or 3 others. They aren't trying to sell you powder or bullets.

Read the NON-DATA chapters before you start thinking about actually doing any loading. Read the safety chapter twice.

Not a problem. I try to help beginners when ever I can. The main thing to remember is SAFETY first.

I agree that the Lyman book is a great manual.

The Lee manual has good informational chapters too. Their data mirrors a number of other manuals and powder manufactures websites data, so it makes a good compilation/starter. It hasn't been updated in awhile though.

If you know you're going to be loading a specific brand of bullet (especially if it is a specialty bullets with a different profile than normal), the manufacture's manual would be a good choice also. Speer, Barnes, Nosler, Sierra, and Hornady all have manuals.

I agree on that as well. The Lyman covers several bullets like standard spitzer design, SMK style HPBT and others. But for Berger VLD style bullets or the Lapua Scenars, you might want to seek the factory data. But just a heads up on thos two types of bullets. The long pointy Very Low Drag style bullets are not as easy to load for as regular bullets. I haven't shot any VLDs or Scenars in several years. And the above reason is one reason why.

Gotcha. Looks like I'll go for the Lyman's and look for some others. How about that ABC of Reloading book? I'll be reloading primarily for my 6.5x47Lapua that's being built and should be ready when I get home, or shortly after. Once I have the stuff, I'll also reload for my old .308

There are also these from Cabela's and other sites. The Loadbooks show load data from several sources, but only for that specific caliber.
You do also need a good complete book, but these come in handy.

Jim

edited to add: I don't remember who it was but there used to be a very good 2 book "manual" on reloading. One book was data and the other had very good info on ballistics and general handloading.

"Handloading For Competition" by Glen Zediker. His writing style is a bit different but this is an excellent book for the handloader.

Take care over there and thanks for your service.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG383</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotcha. Looks like I'll go for the Lyman's and look for some others. How about that ABC of Reloading book? I'll be reloading primarily for my 6.5x47Lapua that's being built and should be ready when I get home, or shortly after. Once I have the stuff, I'll also reload for my old .308 </div></div>

That's a good book. It has a lot of history and theory in it. It's a little dated. It was printed in the 1970s. But the original data Dean Grinnell put in it is still good.

Remember, safety, safety, SAFETY...!

I too will chip in on recommending the Lyman manual. Not only does it have a wealth of knowledge for loads and projectiles, but for the beginner, it has an excellent tome of understanding.

The description of each segment of the reloading process is broken down, so that you end up with knowing what your doing, and why. Ergo, your finished product will be more/better tailored to your particular application.

Understanding the whole process makes the job less of a task, and more of a "perfecting sequence".

Hey Sig,I agree that the Lyman is a good one to start with.PM coming your way. Pete

I have ~ 50 reloading manuals.
Many of them are old editions that I found on Ebay or at gunshows.

The manuals from ~ 1950 to ~ 1980 kept getting thicker and the loads got hotter.
Then the trend turned around and the loads have been getting wimpier ever since. At the same time the manuals slowed down in growing in thickness [page count].

See if you can spot a trend in the changing powder charges:

"Speer 3" 1959 44 mag 240 gr. JSP.........23.0 gr. 2400 1564 fps
"Speer 6" 1964 44 mag 240 gr. JSP.........23.0 gr. 2400 1564 fps
"Speer 7" 1966 44 mag 240 gr. JSP.........23.0 gr. 2400 1564 fps
"Speer 8" 1970 44 mag 240 gr. JSP.........23.0 gr. 2400 1521 fps
"Speer 9" 1974 44 mag 240 gr. JSP.........19.5 gr. 2400 1344 fps
"Speer 10" 1979 44 mag 240 gr. JSP&MSP 22.2 gr. 2400 1392 fps.
"Speer 11" 1987 44 mag 240 gr. JSP&MSP 22.2 gr. 2400 1452 fps
"Speer 12" 1994 44 mag 240 gr. JSP&MSP 17.7 gr. 2400 1271 fps
"Speer 13" 1998 44 mag 240 gr. JSP&MSP 21.0 gr. 2400 1434 fps
"Speer 14" 2007 44 mag 240 gr. JSP&MSP 21.0 gr. 2400 ???? fps

The book:
51eMHF5lWQL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Sinclair-Internationals-Precision-Reloading-Shooting/dp/B001EJDAH6

The book has no reloading recipes in that book, just technique.
But by the time I read that book, I already knew everything in it, from reloading forums like this one.
That is like a Boeing design manual, you must already know what it means to understand it.

These days I use Quickload software for a starting load and make up my own loads, and then write range reports in email.
The range reports stored in email drafts then become MY reloading manual.
It is a searchable data base, important to a guy with zillions of guns and poor memory.
If the titles of the emails saved are of uniform format, the reports can be ordered, e.g. "Range report 2009-08-05 6mmBR Rem700 260Rem M98"

Here is where to buy Quickload:
http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm

I use both the Lyman 49th edition and the 5th edition of the Sierra manual. Since I use mostly Sierra SMK's I tend to use the Sierra manual more often. I've noticed that the loads for 223 and 308 are signicantly lower than the previous manual for both calibers.

I have the current speer manual #14 and it has done well for me, however It does not have any info on the 6.5x47 Lapua
frown.gif

Anyone here looked at the Vihtavuhori manual?