• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading newbies

I have a membership to a premium gun club in CO but sometimes I will go to the public 100 yard range because it is not effected as much on the days it is real windy . Some of the shooters at the public range are a different breed. They will come back with their 18x24 target having a basketball size group and could not be happier. At the gun club I've seen shooters agonize over a tenth of an inch.
The pursuit to perfection will cost a lot more.

Whats the general cost besides powder and bullets for a reloading set up, say 300 nm, maybe some 5.56, 308, 6.5 grendel, and 6 5 creedmoor, I know I need a press with some bits, a primer press? I'm not looking to dump a 1000 into it for now but what's like a happy middle ground?
Powders and Bullets alone can be troublesome to locate these days, and how. Primers are your other big supply issue.

Don't get put off by reactions to your caliber range......UNLESS you use them ALL all the time. I'm set up die-wise etc for 6-7 calibers, use one "frequently" by my definition, another halfway frequently, and the others rarely, they're for SHTF. I'm a low-volume long range precision shooter, so I don't need to churn out the reloads. Damned slow and methodical as it is....... The few times I let loose and spray a mag or two, it's with the cheap Russian ammo........what fun!!!

You definitely need a press with a couple of dies, for EACH caliber. For primers, get a de-capper and a "inserter". Franklin Arsenal has a good fairly universal de-capper, fits your hand kind of like a gun. They also have the "Perfect Seat Hand Primer" which is a dream, but others are available and somewhat cheaper. The right press kit will have a capper built into it. The more tools you have, in general, the easier proper re-loading will be. Get a "Dandy Trickler" for instance to help with your powder charges. And a "cheap" balance scales ($60-70) can give you really accurate loads, if a bit slow to properly use. Lee case lube is great for lubing your cases before sizing. Make sure to ear-swab some lube inside the necks, but don't overdo even if it won't contaminate the powder. And PERSONALLY, I recommend putting your powdered shells into a 50-round rack while reloading, then inspecting each with a flashlight FOR POWDER loads before pressing in bullets, to AVOID SQUIBS! The primer in an empty shell will push the bullet into the barrel, and if you don't notice and put a live round in behind it, LIFE WILL GET INTERESTING. OR NOT.

Good luck! If you enjoy cutting grass, you'll probably enjoy re-loading, it's kinda the same is some regards. Rote, attention to each blade of grass aka attention to detail, care and diligence, will give you a good or better than good round to fire.

ps. by the time you're competent, a Thou will probably seem like a happy middle ground, at the minimum.

Last edited:
Reactions: roberthu526
Some good stuff here.

Don't forget, if you use a kernel (the green stuff) abrasive to clean your cases, to make sure no kernels are lodged in the flash holes before priming.

AND......after charging your loads, take a flashlight and inspect every shell for powder before installing the bullets. AVOID THE SQUIB!!!

I will add something else here.

I generally load in stages, having a few medical issues I just can't stand that long, so not uncommon for me to do case prep one day, prime another day and charge and seat bullet on another day. Don't leave powder sitting in your cases over night waiting on a bullet to finish them up.

In this case I was in an accident and was off my feet for a few weeks. I had cases primed and ready sitting nose up in the shell holders waiting for prime powder and just finish the job.

I get down to them prime them and start to put powder in one and the powder falls all over the table.....what the hell. Did I already charge these cases and just leave them, that sure does not sound like me......no spiders built a little web nest in some of the cases and the powder is light enough not to bust up the web.

Oddest thing I have ever come across, but just something to keep in mind. I think depending on your case handling it could happen anywhere along the line.

I will add something else here.

I generally load in stages, having a few medical issues I just can't stand that long, so not uncommon for me to do case prep one day, prime another day and charge and seat bullet on another day. Don't leave powder sitting in your cases over night waiting on a bullet to finish them up.

In this case I was in an accident and was off my feet for a few weeks. I had cases primed and ready sitting nose up in the shell holders waiting for prime powder and just finish the job.

I get down to them prime them and start to put powder in one and the powder falls all over the table.....what the hell. Did I already charge these cases and just leave them, that sure does not sound like me......no spiders built a little web nest in some of the cases and the powder is light enough not to bust up the web.

Oddest thing I have ever come across, but just something to keep in mind. I think depending on your case handling it could happen anywhere along the line.
That sounds crazy, but it's probably happened before.

I got lucky. I inherited an entire reloading setup from a buddy that had a stroke. I've got 2 sets of dies and that's about all I've paid for except .223 powder and bullets. I'd even inherited 1k LRPs that I traded for SRPs.

Have a fair number of bullets and a decent amount of powder, but I'm about out of SRPs

I tried a batch of 9mm on the single stage press once. Took darn near all week to do 660ish rounds. Last time I'm doing that! Lost my free range so haven't been shooting pistols nearly as much as I had been.

There's something to be said for reloading your own,

M

If anything. I would get FL bushing dies starting out the gate. As you get into it you'll see why. The only thing is you have to get bushing for the die. You'll be glad your started with bushing die's. Not like me having to change all my FL dies to Bushing dies. I have used a Rock-Chucker Press for years. Never felt it was a big deal in changing out dies. It's a small rabbit hole, but deep. :)

If you're wanting to save money by loading your own 9mm or 556 for blasting, $1000 isn't going to get you anywhere close. If you're wanting to shoot tiny 5 round groups from a precision gun weekly you might be able to get a basic setup around that to get you started in 1 caliber. You'll still need powder, primers, and bullets on top of your budget. The RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading kit looks like a good start. You'll still need a tumbler, dies, calipers, and precision mic gauges. Eventually you'll need case trimmers. You'll also need some type of crimp removal tool if you're wanting to use military cases. Like everything else you pay to play.

It doesn’t make dollars and cents (sense) just yet, but I jumped in head first thanks to this thread. Starting off with 223 and 6 ARC. We’ll see how it goes from there.

nnauft.jpg

It doesn’t make dollars and cents (sense) just yet, but I jumped in head first thanks to this thread. Starting off with 223 and 6 ARC. We’ll see how it goes from there.

nnauft.jpg
My 2cents: Start with the .223. I find that reloading the .223 is kinda fun and pretty easy. It doesn't take as much powder as the 6arc would take so you get more rounds/pound. And case lube is very important.