• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading press combination

kobra67

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2022
USA
New to reloading, I have been scouring the internet trying to find a good option.

Trying to figure out which presses to keep. I was lucky enough to receive the following three presses for the holidays. A CO-AX, Dillon 550 and a 750.
I know each has it's role for reloading, but do I really need all three or would other combination of presses be better like returning the CO-AX and getting another 750.

I plan on reloading most of the popular calibers 9/38spl-357/45/223/308/6.5 eventually 10mm/30-06 / 7.62x39/300BO
The pistol calibers will be for plinking and recreational shooting which would be done on the 750 just for volume.
The rifle calibers would be done as follows 223/308 reloaded on 750 for shooting through AR platform again for volume.
6.5 CM Bolt action would like to shoot for fun long range, no competition at this time, but could lead into it. I also have bolt action 308 and 223 that I would also load for accuracy and would be done on the Co-Ax or 550

If I kept all three: Co-Ax: rifle case brass prep and load development. Load 308 and 6.5 for precision on 550 since I do not have to swap out components except powder setup. 9mm and 223 would be loaded on 750 also due to minimal conversion to load both.

If I returned the Co-Ax, the case prep and load development would be done on the 550 and the have two 750s one for pistol/ small primer and one for rifle/ large primer.

sorry for long post and yet another press thread, but any information is greatly appreciated. If I did not provide enough info please ask can provide extra as I am sure I forgot to add it.

Thanks

I would keep them all.

On my bench, I have a 650 dedicated to 9mm. I have a 550 with caliber conversions for 38/357, 45ACP, 45 Colt, 30-30, and 223, and a CoAx that I use for my precision loads.

If I could only choose one, it would be the 550.

I’d keep at least the co-ax and 750, the Dillon is what you want for cranking out pistol ammo or class / range rifle ammo. The co-ax is what I’d use of those 3 for precision loading

Reactions: 96coal449
Another vote for keep them all.

Use the single stage press for reference work like developing your process before you transfer it to a progressive.

The 550 is an excellent press and very easy to learn. It is really a turret press and is less expensive to tool up for multiple calibers.

The 750 is a true progressive and when run with a case and bullet feeder is very easy in terms of low operator fatigue. It costs a little more to completely equip for multiple calibers, but is still a good value compared to even higher presses. This is a good place to automate all the nasty touch labor steps with a multi-stage processing approach to bottleneck cartridges. YMMV

Way to make The Nice List this year, congrats.

I have a Dillion 650 for all things that I shoot in volume, a Rock Chucker that is older than I am, and a Rock Chucker Supreme.
Dillion is the zenith of customer service and RCBS has been around long enough to have been used by my Grand Father. In short... when it comes to reloading, presses are not something that you only need/want one of. ... come to think of it the only thing I have one of is an annealing machine.
So what I am really saying is never ever part with any of it. Welcome to world of endless possibilities!

I vote for keeping all three. One Dillon press for small primers and one for large. Only issue with .223 and 9mm on the 750 is that I am not sure you could use a case feeder for both rounds.

As far as the Co-Ax, every man needs a good single stage.

Only issue with .223 and 9mm on the 750 is that I am not sure you could use a case feeder for both rounds.
Wiillk, mine work just fine. The case feeder unit comes with different sized case sorter plates that lift in and out for the various sizes.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Thank you everyone,
I guess I under valued the single stage press. and more worried about having to learn on three presses instead of two. I always run with the theory 2 is 1, 1 is none. Figured having 2 750s available incase one went down I could still reload. I know Dillon has a great warranty , but also heard some parts may take a while to get.

Thanks again, I appreciate the information.

Reactions: RegionRat
Yeah I'd definitely keep them all if you have room for such a set up. You've got the set up that I want to have as soon as I finish my dedicated reloading room, don't give it up if you don't have to.

I always remind myself that good equipment will not lose value. Hang on to it while you can, use them if needed, but if you get in a bind, you can always get your money back out of them, or more, as we saw in 2020.

New to reloading, I have been scouring the internet trying to find a good option.

Trying to figure out which presses to keep. I was lucky enough to receive the following three presses for the holidays. A CO-AX, Dillon 550 and a 750.
I know each has it's role for reloading, but do I really need all three or would other combination of presses be better like returning the CO-AX and getting another 750.

I plan on reloading most of the popular calibers 9/38spl-357/45/223/308/6.5 eventually 10mm/30-06 / 7.62x39/300BO
The pistol calibers will be for plinking and recreational shooting which would be done on the 750 just for volume.
The rifle calibers would be done as follows 223/308 reloaded on 750 for shooting through AR platform again for volume.
6.5 CM Bolt action would like to shoot for fun long range, no competition at this time, but could lead into it. I also have bolt action 308 and 223 that I would also load for accuracy and would be done on the Co-Ax or 550

If I kept all three: Co-Ax: rifle case brass prep and load development. Load 308 and 6.5 for precision on 550 since I do not have to swap out components except powder setup. 9mm and 223 would be loaded on 750 also due to minimal conversion to load both.

If I returned the Co-Ax, the case prep and load development would be done on the 550 and the have two 750s one for pistol/ small primer and one for rifle/ large primer.

sorry for long post and yet another press thread, but any information is greatly appreciated. If I did not provide enough info please ask can provide extra as I am sure I forgot to add it.

Thanks
Keep a Dillon and the Co-ax. Get an arbor press.