• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Press Pressure

brianf

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2010
NY
With all the new presses coming out every year, does anyone have the actual force needed to:

FL resize
Mandrel/neck up-down
“Bump” shoulders

Laymen’s teens how many ft lbs is needed to actually move the ram or press head to completion?

Not in the arm /linkage but the actual head

I’ve never seen a number

Thanks

As usual the answer is it depends. For instance, resizing 308 brass from my rifle is quite easy but resizing once fired 7.62x51 from a machine gun is quit a different story. I am sure that there is some data somewhere that references what you seek but it’s going to depend on cartrige and other assumption. I’m sure some of the press designers have that data.

Reactions: straightshooter1
It’s really just the math by the ratio created by the linkage/lever

I’m lazy and was hoping that it was published or done already

With all the new presses coming out every year, does anyone have the actual force needed to:

FL resize
Mandrel/neck up-down
“Bump” shoulders

Laymen’s teens how many ft lbs is needed to actually move the ram or press head to completion?

Not in the arm /linkage but the actual head

I’ve never seen a number

Thanks
A) force is measured in pounds, not ft lbs
B) pressure isn't a useful parameter in this case
C) if you want to know the force on the die or tool head during each opration youll need to rig up some strain sensors or force transducers.

ETA I suppose you could use a force transducer on something that applies force to the handle then do the math through all the linkages. But it's just easier and more accurate to instrument the die or tool head

A) force is measured in pounds, not ft lbs
B) pressure isn't a useful parameter in this case
C) if you want to know the force on the die or tool head during each opration youll need to rig up some strain sensors or force transducers.

ETA I suppose you could use a force transducer on something that applies force to the handle then do the math through all the linkages. But it's just easier and more accurate to instrument the die or tool head

For conversation's sake. Let's say you were going to build either a press to push straight down on a press, or an arm to pull the handle of the press.

How would you go about determining the (insert proper metric) you would need to actuate and complete the cycle? Say it would be a hydraulic ram pushing the press vertically, or a pneumatic arm pulling the handle.

Is there a quick way to figure out where to start, or would it just be easier to experiment until you get enough "juice" to complete the operation?

For conversation's sake. Let's say you were going to build either a press to push straight down on a press, or an arm to pull the handle of the press.

How would you go about determining the (insert proper metric) you would need to actuate and complete the cycle? Say it would be a hydraulic ram pushing the press vertically, or a pneumatic arm pulling the handle.

Is there a quick way to figure out where to start, or would it just be easier to experiment until you get enough "juice" to complete the operation?
You start by modeling the force needed to produce the work (whatever the die in the press is supposed to achieve) and then start adding all the mechanical losses in the system.

If I understand the question.

Maybe reach out the folks that make the motors for automating Dillon 1050's? Ultimate Reloader has a few videos on their equipment. Their name escapes me at the moment.

Find a way to insert the square drive of a beam style torque wrench at the same attachment place as your press handle

Then set up a camera to capture the reading. Convert to lbs or leave it as ft*lbs