• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading presses

Re: Reloading presses

A single stage "O" frame.

After that you have to look at ergonomics and where those pesky primers go after you punch them. I like the Redding Big Boss II, but that's my opinion.

Cheers,

Doc

No BMG's just standard cartridges, well up to 300 win mag. I have a rock chucker but an't seem to get better than .003 to .004 run out. All my dies are Redding or Forster. So I'm thinkin try a new press, I was wondering about the arbor style presses.

Arbor press. If you want a traditional style press, one from the Harrell brothers combined with their dies or other custom makers such as Neil Jones.

With the Redding T-7 and the bushing Comp dies, I typically see less then .002" runout. I was a bit skeptical on the T-7 at first, now I love it.

I got an old bonanza which is now forester co-ax and the press itself has never cause me to get run-out which has only been caused by technique or other equipment factor in my loadings. You never need a shell holder due to the jaws which there is only 2 different sets and the 2nd set is only for odd ball 45-70 and maybe 22 hornet or something like that. Also spent primers and powder residue are conveniently sent through a drop tube to the bottom where it is easily cleaned and the grit never gets onto the ram Assemblies unlike others ive used...

If you read in the riflemans journal webpage in the articles section Germán Salazar compared wilson dies in an arbor press to redding sliding style and that the reddings produced rounds with overall lower run-out than inline wilsons. thats not to say that an inline die built with your chamber reamer wouldnt be better but off the shelf his results were redding. I think he just uses a rockchucker press too

All that I read;The forester co-axial die is the best single stage press. The way it's made the die sort of floats making it make very concentricity loads. I never had the money to buy one,they are pretty pricy.I use the old Lee classic with redding dies ...some Lee,and it makes very concentricity loads.

If you read in the riflemans journal webpage in the articles section Germán Salazar compared wilson dies in an arbor press to redding sliding style and that the reddings produced rounds with overall lower run-out than inline wilsons. thats not to say that an inline die built with your chamber reamer wouldnt be better but off the shelf his results were redding. I think he just uses a rockchucker press too [/quote]

Thats interesting I'll have to find and read the artical ..Thanks

try removing your expander ball. or replace the clip that holds you shellholder with a rubber band

The choice of press for low run out is vastly over rated. You can believe that IF there was any statistical difference in run-out due to a press of any kind the maker would put it on huge bill boards along the interstate highways. They don't do that because no such difference exists.

Good work techniques, good cases that have been well prepaired and good sizing and seater dies make for low run-out. Given all that, anyone can make high grade ammo on any press made today. Without that, no one can make good ammo on any press made today. ??

IMHO the Co-Ax is the press to get, BUT I also load at the range with a RCBS Partner Press, it is easier to load concentric ammo with the Co-Ax, but I also load the same quality ammo on my Partner press, so just to save you some money look into your reloading technique first.