• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

reloading problems.

kickinneon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2008
Eastern kentucky
I reloaded some hornady 168g a-max's and took them to the range to shoot them and got 1 group of .467" center to center and another of .397" center to center ( both 5 shoot groups) also with a 22mph wind come towards my barrel. I come back home reload some more and go back the next day and re shoot them to confirm the load but this time i could not get under a 1" group.also on both days had better groups with the 175gr load listed below. What do some of you re loaders think it could be.

Here is some info on my gun and load

Gun
Remington 700 sps varmint
Rws muzzle brake
1n12 twist barrel (factory barrel)
chute stock
Harris bipod.
trigger tuned to 2 pound's
Leopold 20moa 1 piece base
Leopold rings
Nikon buckmaster 6x18x40 mil-dot.

Load info
case length (2.000)
Over all length (2.800)
powder (varget 44.5gr)
Bullet (hornady 168gr a-max)

ON a better note i did get some 175smk's to group good on both days. the best group being .452" 5 shot group.

load info
case length (2.000)
over all length (2.800)
powder ( varget 46gr compressed)
bullet (sierra 175gr match kings)

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Re: reloading problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbeasley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check your action screws, they are easily missed when lose. </div></div>

Just checked them and both are tight.

Here is some pics of the groups.

Picture #1)5 shot group of the 168gr amax's Good group

Picture #2 5 shot group of the 168gr amax's Good group

Picture #3)5 shot groups of the 168gr amax's. the bad groups

picture #4)5 shot group of the 175gr smk's good group

Picture #5)5 shot group of the 175gr smk's good group

pic1
2b0b5ec9.jpg

pic2
a240d9f6.jpg

pic3
32055731.jpg

pic4
b00e4f73.jpg

pic5
2b78dfe1.jpg

How about your muzzle break, is it loose?

Were the second trips 175 loads shot before or after the bad 168 groups? If before, maybe something is loose (rings, base, or scope internals). If after, that is more troubling.

Short answer.. Stick with the 175 load.

Longer answer.. Was your brass prep etc the same for both lots?
How many firings on the brass prior to your development?
For example, starting with new brass, subsequent loading may alter the load just enough to take you out of the accuracy node if your were 'on the edge' of a node.
??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 244</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about your muzzle break, is it loose?

Were the second trips 175 loads shot before or after the bad 168 groups? If before, maybe something is loose (rings, base, or scope internals). If after, that is more troubling. </div></div>

The muzzle brake is lock tigthed on and is not loose. both 175gr groups were shot after the 168's.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gfunkUK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short answer.. Stick with the 175 load.

Longer answer.. Was your brass prep etc the same for both lots?
How many firings on the brass prior to your development?
For example, starting with new brass, subsequent loading may alter the load just enough to take you out of the accuracy node if your were 'on the edge' of a node.
?? </div></div>

I was loading the 168gr a-max's for hunting.

yes the brass was all prepped the same as it was all done at the same time. the bass has all been shot one time before those loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you do any load development?
Or just load em up and go shoot them?
</div></div>

Yes is did do some load development. I started with the 42gr's of varget and worked my way up to 46gr's in .5gr increments.
The case's were all trimmed to 2.000 and the over all length of the bullet was 2.800 on all bullets.

I would load 5 more up and give it another try. I would say you just had a bad day. But where you shot 2 excellent groups after the bad ones i would rule that out.

+1 try the groups again, if you shot the 168 groups first, try doing them second instead, it's very puzzling, but I think you need a few more groups to confirm anything.

According to the greenhill formula you are borderline on gyro stability with
the 168 amax. The maximum bullet length for a 1:12 is 1.19 inches. I think the
amax is a fair amount longer than that. May account for the inconsistency?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deerhunterjj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would load 5 more up and give it another try. I would say you just had a bad day. But where you shot 2 excellent groups after the bad ones i would rule that out. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gfunkUK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 try the groups again, if you shot the 168 groups first, try doing them second instead, it's very puzzling, but I think you need a few more groups to confirm anything. </div></div>

I'm going to load 10 more tonight and retry them tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> According to the greenhill formula you are borderline on gyro stability with
the 168 amax. The maximum bullet length for a 1:12 is 1.19 inches. I think the
amax is a fair amount longer than that. May account for the inconsistency?</div></div>

If that was the case why would the 175gr not do the same. Here is the lengths of the bullets.

168gr A-max (1.276")
175gr smk (1.238")

The 175 is shorter, bullet stability vs. twist is not the same gun to gun, barrel
to barrel. You are borderline at best. Some 1:12's may shoot them fine and
others will not. You have a varmint barrel and are shooting mid sized game
bullet weights. Minimum twist for the amax is 1:11.15 according to the formula.
The 175 comes in at 1:11.49.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 175 is shorter, bullet stability vs. twist is not the same gun to gun, barrel
to barrel. You are borderline at best. Some 1:12's may shoot them fine and
others will not. You have a varmint barrel and are shooting mid sized game
bullet weights. Minimum twist for the amax is 1:11.15 according to the formula.
The 175 comes in at 1:11.49. </div></div>

I understand what your saying. It just still puzzles me that it it shot 2 awesome groups and then go's to shit.
I have shot 168gr smk's before and had good groups out of them but that was about 2 years ago.

+1 on trying the loads again. Did you do anything different rifle cleaning wise between these two sets of targets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308isgreat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on trying the loads again. Did you do anything different rifle cleaning wise between these two sets of targets? </div></div>

Yes i did clean the rifle after the first range outing. before i started shooting my 2nd set of groups i shot 10 foul shots.

Good luck. I have had a similar issue with a Rem 700 Long Range/Tactical. 175 SMK are the most consistent, but with rounds all loaded the same way the same day, one day will show sub minute groups and another day, similar conditions and + one inch groups. I know on my rifle, the throat is really long, and I believe that is part of my problem. Yours may be the same.