• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading rifle on Dillon… powder in lubed cases

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Does anyone else do a 1 pass of rifle rounds on a progressive? I see people on YouTube doing it and when I tried, the One shot lube in the neck made some powder spill and creates a mess in the neck for seating bullets….

Does running a carbide sizer and not spraying lube in the neck fix this? Does the lube in the finished case hurt anything over time?

Right now I have a separate head set up just to size brass I’ve cleaned, then I clean again to get lube off and switch heads to just prime, powder and seat bullet

Reactions: simonp
    Even with a carbide sizer, you still need lube on rifle brass. Friend of mine tried it without and ended up taking the die to Dillon to get the brass removed.

I was going to really try once, I had it all set up on my 1050. Decapping die, then trim at station 2 where the swage is, but then I didn't have another spot for sizing to expand the case mouth back out. But the trimmer hit the decapping die as well. So I gave up and went back to 2 passes.

with the requirement to trim, and brass shavings all over the progressive, its not worth the hassle. Brass shavings in the primer slide/etc.

One toolhead/pass for prep
    wet wash/dry
    One toolhead/pass for loading

done

Reactions: simonp
    No way...2 pass...brass prep toolhead and loading toolhead... I don't see what you gain other than a major headache and sub par ammo...

It's easy to dedicate a day to 1 caliber in the brass prep toolhead to fill a bin with a 1000 or more cases so they are ready to go when it's time to load...

I don’t trim everytime, but I do use a powered Lyman trimmer and have their power prep station to chamfer and swage pockets. I’ll stick to the 2 pass method then. $30 for a spare head sounds well worth it for doing away with the headache it could bring

Technically if you use a neck size die it can work without lube. This little XP runs fine with neck sized brass run though a Dillion in one pass. I even tried it with the RPR and the group at 300 yards wasn't half bad. However, you have to be very careful, checking at least every five rounds to make sure you are getting consistent powder throws.

Still, with PRS type r the RPR, I size, clean lube then prime, load charges individually with a scale, then seat the bullets. Using the SRP brass for the MPA, ti is a pain to set it up on my small primer Dillion so I wound up loading them on my single stage Redding press. Rifle rounds used for hunting, all single stage on the Redding Boss.

Still I don't recommend it.

81837755-51EF-4533-9B70-418C7F545CCB.jpeg

Last edited: