• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading room security

1clicktrick

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2018
skiatook
I have an external portable building as a reloading room/mancave that is insulated and climate controlled year round. I have my powder and primers stored in there which are worth gold right now. The building is lofted and I have moved most supplies up there in plastic totes. It kinda just looks like camping stuff to deter assholes if they enter. The door isnt like fort Knox by anymeans. I was looking at fabbing a toybox style lock box. Anyone know of a off the shelf lock box that I could bolt to the floor of the loft? What do you guys use if in my situation? The attched pic at the top of ladder is a loft that is 10'×4'. Box would be maybe 2x3 possibly or bigger.
Screenshot_2017-12-02-18-49-18.png

Reactions: acudaowner
Throw a Blink or Ring camera on there too. Be able to see if anyone is messing around and maybe scare them away.

Throw a Blink or Ring camera on there too. Be able to see if anyone is messing around and maybe scare them away.

This is a good suggestion, even if it's not a front door. People look twice when they notice the doorbell camera.

Depending on how you fall on the paranoid/privacy spectrum, you may take a look at something like Arlo cameras. Ring has had some privacy concerns in the past, although they are supposed to be getting better about it. Both blink and ring are now owned by amazon.

ETA: Eufy was the brand I was thinking of - It stores video locally and not to the cloud (Arlo goes encrypted to the cloud). It also skips the monthly fees - because if you want to be able to store/access that video you took, most are gonna make you pay for the privilege.

Last edited:
I use Arlo and nest cameras for the past three years and they have worked well for me. Alternatively you can check with your home security company to see if they can wire it up and join it with your main house, network wise.

Job boxes are great for lockable storage, but keep in mind there’s very minimal if any interior organization. Take a look at lockable storage cabinets for similar security capability (obviously, neither will defend against a determined crook with time and a crowbar) with better organizational capability. Not sure how many primers/pounds of powder you keep on hand at one time, but I found a few different sizes of these cabinets; all under $200.

Reactions: Aftermath
Job boxes are great for lockable storage, but keep in mind there’s very minimal if any interior organization. Take a look at lockable storage cabinets for similar security capability (obviously, neither will defend against a determined crook with time and a crowbar) with better organizational capability. Not sure how many primers/pounds of powder you keep on hand at one time, but I found a few different sizes of these cabinets; all under $200.

Thank you, this will be handy in conjunction with a job box!!!!

Reactions: Anb618
Cover the windows, I had a similar set up. Don’t make it easy to see inside. My shop was in a direct line of sight from my bedroom window.

Reactions: Anb618
This is a good suggestion, even if it's not a front door. People look twice when they notice the doorbell camera.

Depending on how you fall on the paranoid/privacy spectrum, you may take a look at something like Arlo cameras. Ring has had some privacy concerns in the past, although they are supposed to be getting better about it. Both blink and ring are now owned by amazon.

ETA: Eufy was the brand I was thinking of - It stores video locally and not to the cloud (Arlo goes encrypted to the cloud). It also skips the monthly fees - because if you want to be able to store/access that video you took, most are gonna make you pay for the privilege.

I have a Eufy and am really impressed by it, I'm pretty picky too as I owned a CCTV company for 7 years.

Plus, having your stash spread around in different areas, locking cabinets, boxes and safes is just a good idea in general.