• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading setup in climate controlled storage unit

A5scott

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Eastern PA
Anyone ever setup for reloading in a climate controlled storage facility?

Circumstances are such that I won't have room at home for loading for up to another year, so I was wondering about this... A 5x10 unit would work well. Security is a concern, as well as electricity to run a powder thrower.

Scott

Anyone ever setup for reloading in a climate controlled storage facility?

Circumstances are such that I won't have room at home for loading for up to another year, so I was wondering about this... A 5x10 unit would work well. Security is a concern, as well as electricity to run a powder thrower.

Scott
When I was in college I ran a business out of one to start out. It could be done but if you got caught someone would make a big stink about it. I think you could get power with a cord from somewhere in the building and then just pull the cord back in when done. Probably going to be kind of expensive. Is it worth it to load like that or just buy ammo? I know you can't buy what we can make and you probably already have the components but that doesn't sound like a lot of fun. It probably could be done, just be careful of what's in the contract about working or whatever in the unit ect.....

Maybe you know someone who would rent you a room at their house or something? Maybe a buddy you could rent space in his basement or something. Not sure what a climate controlled unit goes for now days but I bet it ain't cheap. There's multiple guys on here that have a little load set up they get out of their closet and load then put it back up ect. So, maybe that's an option?

Reactions: A5scott
Most storage units have rules about not doing work in the units (I have a car stored in one, they made that crystal clear from the start), as well as not storing explosive chemicals.

Thanks for the responses.... A 5x10' is listed as $46 a month, but who knows if that's a bait and switch, but looks like it's under $100 a month anyway

Yep, just spitballing ideas. My brother is 2 hours away, my parents are 3 hours away... they could work.

I load .223, 6.5x47, 7 saum, 338 LM and 416 Barret, and I have been buying ammo for some of them and it's getting old.

I have a 48" wide workbench with drawers that fit a lot of my gear. I imagine putting a 6 shelf high metro shelf with a sheet to offer concealment so I can work behind it.

if it has a lightbulb I could hook in to electricity there, or possibly an outlet in the hallway.

Looks like not many do this. I know they don't want you working there...

Thanks again,

Scott

Thanks for the responses.... A 5x10' is listed as $46 a month, but who knows if that's a bait and switch, but looks like it's under $100 a month anyway

Yep, just spitballing ideas. My brother is 2 hours away, my parents are 3 hours away... they could work.

I load .223, 6.5x47, 7 saum, 338 LM and 416 Barret, and I have been buying ammo for some of them and it's getting old.

I have a 48" wide workbench with drawers that fit a lot of my gear. I imagine putting a 6 shelf high metro shelf with a sheet to offer concealment so I can work behind it.

if it has a lightbulb I could hook in to electricity there, or possibly an outlet in the hallway.

Looks like not many do this. I know they don't want you working there...

Thanks again,

Scott
Yeah I would imagine that it would be a short lived thing. You could do it, and get by with it for a while but at some point you are likely to get seen, and when you do, all kinds of hell could break loose depending on where you are. If you're in blue territory, then I wouldn't risk it. Some Karen could turn it into a nightmare. Might be worth driving once a month to mom and dads house to do it if that's the only other option. I'd think hard of a buddy who might want you to teach him how and work out a deal or something. I think I could work that deal with several dudes that I work with that are always telling me they want to learn how to load. The storage thing would be the last option. Also, couldn't you just store your powder at home and then bring it with you wherever so the climate control wouldn't be such a big deal? That would open up garage options at buddy's houses.

Working on a climate controlled storage facility right now... Power and control for the HVAC actually. As far as "working" in the place you could probably get by OK... But, as already mentioned, most of them are very adamant about no flammables or explosives stored on site.

Mike

Yes, I'm looking to bridge the gap, and hopefully will have a new home in 8 months or a year, so that's why I'm wondering.
I'm in PA, so it's not too bad, but the more I think about it, the more i think I'll try another route.

Thanks,
Scott

I lived in an apartment in Boise for a year. I reloaded on a 2'x2' square printer table.
Keep your stuff in a closet and just pull it out to load. Then put it away.

I have two places now. My non-airconditioned garage with way too much stuff, and inside the house in a 40" wide oak TV cabinet.
I got the cabinet for free and removed the swivel. Bolted the press with studs and wing nuts.
Added a shelf for dies and powder, primers and projectiles are in the lower drawers and doors.
All of it closes up and just looks like a TV cabinet when not in use.