• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Spreadsheet

Sapper_06

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2020
Oregon
Hello Everyone,

I got tired of constantly writing down my load workups with all the various technical details and dimension. Therefore, I developed a spread sheet with graphics to document my loads. I have attached it for everyone's use. Download the file, then change the extension from .pdf to .xlsx.

All data contained in this sample file is made-up for a fictitious cartridge, IT IS NOT REAL DATA AND SHOULD NOT BE USED IN ANY RIFLE EVER.

Attachments

• Reloading Workbook.pdf
    27.6 KB · Views: 324
Hello Everyone,

I got tired of constantly writing down my load workups with all the various technical details and dimension. Therefore, I developed a spread sheet with graphics to document my loads. I have attached it for everyone's use. Download the file, then change the extension from .pdf to .xlsx.

All data contained in this sample file is made-up for a fictitious cartridge, IT IS NOT REAL DATA AND SHOULD NOT BE USED IN ANY RIFLE EVER.

So . . . how do you use that data sheet . . . like in sorting when trying to compare one set with one from hundreds or one from 2 years ago?

Seems you need to transpose the data to a spreadsheet with the accumulated data under the headings for each date???

So . . . how do you use that data sheet
Just enter your information.

It is a spreadsheet, not a database. I found myself continually rewriting the same information on countless pages in my notebooks. I wanted to automate that process. You can use the spreadsheet in any manner that you would like. A database is a better method where you can do sorts and queries, but spreadsheets are friendlier to most people. You can copy this page to new tabs, or put new information for the same bullet/load on different pages in the spreadsheet; your imagination is the only limitation. People can add cells/data as they see fit or modify.

Ultimately, I should write a frontend that connects to a database with all this information. This would allow what you are suggesting. But at that point I am talking commercial software that I would have to charge for and I did not want to do that. My intention was to share something that I found helpful to me, similar to a reloading manual. Think of it more as reference to your past loads and WHY you made the decisions you did.

Just enter your information.

It is a spreadsheet, not a database. I found myself continually rewriting the same information on countless pages in my notebooks. I wanted to automate that process. You can use the spreadsheet in any manner that you would like. A database is a better method where you can do sorts and queries, but spreadsheets are friendlier to most people. You can copy this page to new tabs, or put new information for the same bullet/load on different pages in the spreadsheet; your imagination is the only limitation. People can add cells/data as they see fit or modify.

Ultimately, I should write a frontend that connects to a database with all this information. This would allow what you are suggesting. But at that point I am talking commercial software that I would have to charge for and I did not want to do that. My intention was to share something that I found helpful to me, similar to a reloading manual. Think of it more as reference to your past loads and WHY you made the decisions you did.

OK.

I like what you've done and as you say, it's NOT a "database" kind of thing. I thought maybe you had put together some macros to bring it all into some form of a database.

Your spreadsheet shows some additional information that I just might add mine . . . which is like this sample (as with yours, you'll need to convert the extension):

Attachments

• Load Data Sample.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 125
Maybe we should collaborate. I like the information you have presented. Just different than what I was going for.

Here's my spreadsheet. Works great in a 3-ring binder.

hmm...I'd post it if the forum would allow .XLS files.

If anyone wants it, PM me with your e-mail address.

If you change the extension to .pdf it'll upload to your postings here, then others can download it and change the extension back to .xls or .xlsx

PS: If your file name extension are not showing on your files, and you don't know how to do that in Win10, you can do this: Click on start icon; click on Documents; at the very top, click on View; click on checkbox "File name extensions" if it's not already checked. This makes the file extensions visible on your files and you can edit a file name with a different extension.

Last edited:
Word of Warning (from someone who has been there)

Computer firearm records are a wonderful way to record and save all aspects of reloading. Just wish I had mine back (Ouch)...Me, a former programmer should have known, but I didn’t. Back up each and every day. Let me repeat, Back Up EACH and EVERY Day.

Skipping a day becomes easily two days then a week and then the thing crashes (or gets dropped) and guess what, its gone and you cannot get it back. (In most cases).

I jsut totally gave up and now have records that go back 10 years, all recorded in a notebook that is jealously guarded. Is it a pain to find an old load, a pain to record each and every day? You bet ya. But I have it.

So, please back up your work. Or, print it out regularly. Else, it all goes away.

Reactions: straightshooter1
Word of Warning (from someone who has been there)

Computer firearm records are a wonderful way to record and save all aspects of reloading. Just wish I had mine back (Ouch)...Me, a former programmer should have known, but I didn’t. Back up each and every day. Let me repeat, Back Up EACH and EVERY Day.

Skipping a day becomes easily two days then a week and then the thing crashes (or gets dropped) and guess what, its gone and you cannot get it back. (In most cases).

I jsut totally gave up and now have records that go back 10 years, all recorded in a notebook that is jealously guarded. Is it a pain to find an old load, a pain to record each and every day? You bet ya. But I have it.

So, please back up your work. Or, print it out regularly. Else, it all goes away.

GOOD advise!

It only took one big "OUCH" for me to get lesson learned. After more than half a day of working on some code back in 1988 (back up wasn't as easy or as fast then as today) l lost power and away went all that work that was in my computer. I was soooo upset as I couldn't exactly recreate what I lost and the inspiration for what I was writing didn't return where the subsequent coding I was as good. Ever since, I actually do TWO back ups these days to reduce losing anything I want to be sure to keep.

Sometimes, as one might try to eliminate losing, it can still happen. For example, many years ago I digitized many family photos (old, old one to most recent ones) and put them on CDs and distributed copies to many family members with the idea if I or anyone else in the family lost them, someone had a copy that would make replacement easy. Well, just a few years went by and everyone's CD were no longer readable and all that work was lost (fortunately, I still had all the hard copies). Apparently, the adhesive on the labels I use had an adverse effect of the CD's and all the CD's went bad at the same time.

So, be aware of the limitations of the storage devices that you backup your digital data and files to. Technology changes as it advances over time and it's not unusual one will have to upgrade your storage technology before that stored information is lost/no longer readable.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Here's my spreadsheet. Works great in a 3-ring binder.

hmm...I'd post it if the forum would allow .XLS files.

If anyone wants it, PM me with your e-mail address.

My offer stands; here's a pic of it.
Reloading log, blank_1500w.jpg

PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy of the .XLS file.

When I started reloading in 2000, I did overload work ups to destruction on every 9mm bullet and powder combination.
I had previously used a spreadsheet for calculating the electrical and temperature stresses in 2000 of the different components in the Tornado jet fighter radar warning system power supplies.
It took me months to realize that a spreadsheet is the wrong place for reloading info.... but I have endured 20 years of reading how other guys use spreadsheets for reloading data on gun forums.
What is more appropriate is copying high school chemistry lab write ups.
Show what Quickload predicted vs what the chrono measured. Show your objectives. Show your conclusions.