• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RELOADING SUBSONIC .223 SUPRESSED.....ANY IDEAS

RANGERRON72

Private
Minuteman
Using a Thunderbeast 223P-1 suppressor on a 20 inch Colt HBAR Match barrel.

Want to try subsonic loads to see how quiet I can go. I have 77 gr Sierra MK, 62 gr military, and 55 gr FMJ military bullets available.

Basic powders I use are Varget and H 4895, and I stay with CCI 41 primers in LC brass.

Anyone have a starting point ?? Dont really care whether the load cycles the action, just want to see how quiet I can get this setup......

Re: RELOADING SUBSONIC .223 SUPRESSED.....ANY IDEAS

Stability may very well be an issue depending on your twist. Any idea what it is?

As far as powder, I would use trailboss, and be sure to work your way down to around 1050 fps WITHOUT the suppressor attached.

Be sure to check for stability and keyholing.

RangerRon72.......Please post your results. I have a Gemtech .223 Suppressor and am interested in doing something similar.

I have a 7.5" barrel & i use trailboss. Very quiet, but it doesnt cycle. Hodgon has load listed on there website. Fun little load.

16" and 20" 1/9 twist AR's---4.4gr Trailboss, CCI 41 mil primer, 55gr bullet. 4.5 gr TB will give occasional supersonic crack, but 4.4 seems to be consistent subsonic here in Louisiana.

In my experience, you won't ever get subs to cycle an AR without major mods to the gun itself. I know there has been commercial sub ammo that claims it will cycle, but I've never seen proof nor any reliable confirmation on a forum.

Try any sub loads first by shooting through cardboard at the muzzle, at 10 feet and downrange WITHOUT THE SUPPRESSOR. Make sure you have good round holes-nothing to indicate yaw or wobble especially close to the muzzle to prevent baffle strikes and subsequent destruction of your high-dollar suppressor.

ETA: I have not found a single .224 dia bullet that will mushroom or even distort when shot into water at subsonic velocities. (definitely haven't tried them all though) Ballistic tips may lose the plastic tip or bend it sideways, but otherwise the bullets could be recovered and re-used if you really wanted to. If you want to use a subsonic 223 on game/varmints I would recommend instead 22LR sub hollow points or the new CCI segmented hollow points that split into 3 fragments.

Try Hodgdon's Clays. 4.0 - 4.5 grains. I don't know if I am subsonic at 4.5 or not, but the accuracy is better. Will not cycle as others have mentioned. I load these for my 8 year old to shoot.

Trail Boss will work, but it meters like crap and getting it into a 223 case is like trying to pour Cherios through a straw.