• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading The .30-06

BrentlyWhite

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2019
Just back from the range today after testing velocity for two loads I am trying to develop. The set up - Number 1, H4350, Hornady Brass, CCI 250 primers, Hornady 165 SST, out side neck turned, seated .020 off the lands. Number 2 is identical except I used RL 17. What is surprising is both loads shot well above the QL estimate. I do know all the tricks to make QL match your actual results. I needed velocity to adjust the burn rate to match the actual velocity. The surprising result is both loads were well above the QL estimate. With H4350, I got 2914 (estimate was 2744) and RL 17 was 2993 (Estimate was 2833). Both loads where 1-2 grains below max load according to the Hornady reloading manual. Both loads shot well with the edge going to H4350. Looks like I will be adjusting the burn rate for both powders down in QL. Then I can chase the accuracy node. I didn't notice any excessive pressure signs. The center target was H4350 and the top two where RL 17. What do you guys think?

IMG_8753.jpg
IMG_8757.jpg

If you’re not familiar with RL-17 be careful. Higher temps or cooking in a hot chamber can lead to over pressure quickly
Good advice. This is the second time I have used RL 17. I will back it down.

I have never used Staball. I use mainly RL 17&19, IMR 4350 and Hodgdon 4831&4350 powder. 57 grains of IMR under a 165 is a great setup. I am just trying additional powder in case I can't get IMR.

IMR 4350 and 4064 are my favorites in an old 1903.

SB6.5, from limited data, seems to have a little lower pressure for some bullets, higher for others. The supposedly insensitivity to temperature of SB6.5 is what interests me.

Reactions: BrentlyWhite
Quickload will not predict your exact combustion. It is an estimate. If you are doing load workup off reservation, watch for pressure signs. Your primer, primer pockets, bolt lift.
Your setup might be not just right in quickload either, maybe check twist rate and barrel length.
Depending on what you want the load to do, you produced a good group. What else do you want to do with it?

I don't load to the max for velocity so my loads are mild. I chase the accuracy node. In my experience to get to an accuracy nodes that require high velocity I reach max load before I can get there so I stay away from chasing velocity. All that said to say with a mild load I haven't seen any high pressure signs based on temp in over 30 years of reloading.

Quickload will not predict your exact combustion. It is an estimate. If you are doing load workup off reservation, watch for pressure signs. Your primer, primer pockets, bolt lift.
Your setup might be not just right in quickload either, maybe check twist rate and barrel length.
Depending on what you want the load to do, you produced a good group. What else do you want to do with it?
No pressure signs at all......I was just testing velocity so I could adjust the burn rate in QL to match the actual velocity. That is the setting that is off. My twist rate is 10 and barrel length is 22 inches, seated .020 off the lands with Hornady Brass with 71.3 grains of H2O capacity. What do I want to do with it? Hmmm......maybe a little better accuracy.

Reactions: Rocketvapor
No pressure signs at all......I was just testing velocity so I could adjust the burn rate in QL to match the actual velocity. That is the setting that is off. My twist rate is 10 and barrel length is 22 inches, seated .020 off the lands with Hornady Brass with 71.3 grains of H2O capacity. What do I want to do with it? Hmmm......maybe a little better accuracy.
If accuracy is your game, take the load you liked best, then do a length test in .005" increments out from where you are loaded. Do a least 5 lengths, if not 7-10. You can do this in 3 loaded round lots. One of them will shoot better than the rest. Next test your powder charge to verify in the node you would like. Use either an OCW test or an audette ladder. I prefer the OCW as it takes out more variables. After that, if you would like better still, do a primer test.
This method should produce the best accuracy you will get out of that rifle, consistently.
But alot of that question falls on the purpose of this rifle. If hunting with it, you are likely fine where you are with a 165. If shooting steel, a little more load workup would not hurt. If only punching paper at 100-200 yards, then start chasing that group. Good Luck!

Reactions: BrentlyWhite
Thank you for the information. I have done the OWC before. I use QL to find the starting spot for the OWC once I have all the settings right in QL. Once the OCW test is complete, I test fire three rounds one round .5 grains below, one round at the charge weight and one round .5 grains above. I am testing to make sure all the rounds hit at the same POI. Then you have a 1 grain of powder margin of error for temp, humidity, altitude, pressure, etc. plus if you throw a charge above or below the charge weight. Then I test the seating depth in .005 setting from .010 to .030. This is a hunting rig so I do not want to be in the lands or closer than .010 to the lands. I understand your point about the load is fine where it is at if it a hunting rig. I can't help it I am an accuracy junky. LOL. I set all my hunting rigs up like this. That way if I miss it is me not the rifle, scope or load. I set my last rifle and load combo like this on my .25-06. I must have got lucky on that one. the load QL estimated was dead on. At 100 yards the three shot group is .25-.50 consistently.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. I have done the OWC before. I use QL to find the starting spot for the OWC once I have all the settings right in QL. Once the OCW test is complete, I test fire three rounds one round .5 grains below, one round at the charge weight and one round .5 grains above. I am testing to make sure all the rounds hit at the same POI. Then you have a 1 grain of powder margin of error for temp, humidity, altitude, pressure, etc. plus if you throw a charge above or below the charge weight. Then I test the seating depth in .005 setting from .010 to .030. This is a hunting rig so I do not want to be in the lands or closer than .010 to the lands. I understand your point about the load is fine where it is at if it a hunting rig. I can't help it I am an accuracy junky. LOL. I set all my hunting rigs up like this. That way if I miss it is me not the rifle, scope or load. I set my last rifle and load combo like this on my .25-06. I must have got lucky on that one. the load QL estimated was dead on. At 100 yards the three shot group is .25-.50 consistently.
Sounds like you have it. The only thing you might check out is your length test. I have found accuracy load lengths can vary as much as .100". You may not be in the optimum location with that limited of a length test. It is common to find accuracy there, but not a hard and fast. I have found if you run a test over .070-.100 you will find your accuracy will come in and out of accurate loadings. The pressures will vary, and the consistency will vary. Not linear as you move. You can find accurate loadings as far off as .200-.unkown distances off of the lands. Restricting to only .010-.030 can sometimes miss where that round might run best.

Good advice. The only caliber I have ever tested to that long is the 300WM because in all the ones I have hand loaded for like a big jump to the lands. I will give it a try but will need to make sure I am not compressing the load so much I break kernels.

Reactions: Forward543
Recent workup on 208's with 30 06. Bullet is on at 2.695. it showed best at 2.665". With fed gmm primers. Need to test again at 2.665" with cci 250, gmm, and cci 200. Likely could find another accurate loading length around 2.580"-2.600". Not super accurate, but if it will hold .500" I am on board.

Attachments

• 1578847546978198167243921662959.jpg
    1578847546978198167243921662959.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 47