• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading the .50 BMG... (PICS)

srv656s

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2005
KC, MO
When I got into reloading a few years ago I purchased a LEE single stage kit that came with the .50 BMG dies. I haven't been brave enough to load .50's on it, only used it to load .308 until recently. My buddy Joe (pictured) has a BOHICA that should be delivered any day and when he realized how expensive .50 BMG ammo is, he wanted to load his own.

I finally broke out the .50 dies and we got to work. I was very surprised how far (or NOT far) a pound of powder goes when loading .50 BMG. There's barely enough to load 26-28 cartridges per pound. With the H50BMG powder costing around twenty bucks, that adds up pretty fast.

I've got a bunch of once fired Talon brass, but haven't resized any or trimmed any yet. I just received my Giraud case trimmer a couple weeks ago, so that should make the trimming process cake when we get to that step. We didn't do the whole process yet, Joe got primed brass to start with. We got a couple thousand AP tips, unsized, and ran them through a resizing die. After cleaning off the lube we dropped powder (the RCBS automatic powder dispenser is awesome) and loaded them up. The black tips are AP and the silver are API, we bought the API sized since I wasn't sure how the incendiary crap worked and wanted to handle the API as little as possible. It wasn't a huge price difference for sized when we were only buying a few hundred API.

I'll let everyone know how they shoot!

IMG_3010.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

Shawn

Re: Reloading the .50 BMG... (PICS)

That's the one! I've been VERY happy with it so far, using it for .308. I'll be interested to see how I like loading .50 BMG on it when I do the whole process.

if your just going to be plinking with ap or api rounds i wouldn't used 50bmg powder get a couple kegs of milsurplus powder either the 5010 or i believe wc860 makes it a lot cheaper to shoot

you can also get the milsurp 50 powder from Pat's too. I think it's under 46 bucks for an 8# container. 6 containers can fit under 1 hazmat label. ~$300 plus shipping for 48# of powder comes in at ~ $7 a pound.

I hope you chamber checked the sized brass before loading a bunch. We had to remove over 10 thou off the bottom of my bud's Lee 50 sizer to get the shoulder back far enough to fit in a chamber cut near the FA minimum spec. We also had to machine the seating stem in order to get AMAXes down to mag length for the McMillan repeater.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We had to remove over 10 thou off the bottom of my bud's Lee 50 sizer to get the shoulder back far enough to fit in a chamber cut near the FA minimum spec. We also had to machine the seating stem in order to get AMAXes down to mag length for the McMillan repeater. </div></div>

I wondered about this. Were you using Winchester primed brass from Midway, by chance?

- Fret

No, the WCC 05 stuff floating around seems to be undersized like all WIN commercial brass I've seen in 223, 22-250, and 308. What has your experience been?