• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading, the complete cycle... comments welcome

308sako

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2008
    Brothel Nevada
    Or should I say constructive comments welcome... never the less;

This is my proceedure for loading the best possible quality/accuracy oriented ammunition I can produce. It starts from the moment I remove the fired casing from the chamber an inspect the brass as well as wipe off whatever carbon is around the neck.

Upon arrival home the brass is immediately placed in the tumbler and given an indeterminate spin to further cleanse the firing or range accuumulated dirt. After removal from the tumbler the cases are measured for length and trimmed to a consistant length and squareness of the mouth. Chamfered inside and out the cases are now ready for sizing.

Because I use Redding bushing sizing dies, and I am trying very hard to work the brass as little as possible I will size in two steps. I use a large "O" ring between the press and the diebody to remove any cant or slack due to the coarse threads. Then using a bushing which is half the amount I want to size the neck I size half way down the neck, then rotate the case 180 degrees and fully size the neck. After doing all the cases in that particular lot with this method. I then replace the bushing with the final reducer and without going to the same depth size the cases sized once again as mentioned above.

Time now for the flash holes and cleaning or uniforming... I use the Sinclair tool and find this to be a worthwhile operation, though self explainatory. Then back into the tumbler for a final polish and removal of any retained lubricant. Once out of the tumbler I inspect the flash holes to be free of any media obstructions, and give the cases one last look over for flaws.

For priming I far prefer to use a hand priming tool which allows the greatest degree of feel. I strongly feel that the ignition of the new cartridge is of utmost importance to the uniform results I seek. Powder is weighed and placed into the cases in a uniform manner or rate of fill and spin in the funnel. All cases are now triple checked to be sure there is a visually even amount of powder (or any powder at all, please don't ask!) and on to bullet seating.

Using once again the Redding competition style mircometer seater die I take a case with powder but no bullet and run it into the die body as I lower the die into the press. I always back the seater stem off and check the cartridges overall length as I seat the first few bullets. Once the diebody is properly positioned. I use the same method as other posters do here in the "Hide" and start the bullet the smallest amount and then spin the case 180 degrees and go partially again, and another spin and then to final depth. This is now giving me run out results of less than .001" on my NECO guage. More than acceptable to me.

Some times they go bang afterwards....

Re: Reloading, the complete cycle... comments welcome

You might want to consider trimming after resizing. Resizing will affectthe overall cartridge length, even after trimming.

James

Wow, Are you a BR shooter? FWIW, I would consider investing in a new set of dies so you don't have to worry about fitting the brass if you resize them before trimming. Unless you like to trim every time you shoot, I would just resize and measure and trim if needed. I am not too fond of the trimming process, but have to when needed only. I used to do all of those things, but now, I just tumble, resize (neck only), prime, load and shoot them. I am not a BR shooter, so I don't need to worry much about the small difference in accuracy, or at least I don't think my shooting ability can't discern the difference. BTW, there is nothing wrong with being meticulous and compulsive about case prepping. It's just "different strokes for different folks".

I trim .015" shorter than max length in the manuals, then toss them through a pair of calipers as they come out of sizing. One tub gets the ones that need trimmed and the other bin gets the ones that are ready to go.

-I'm no BR shooter, and most of my misses are all me, not my ammo.

Sounds like you have a god system that works for you. I'd just turn down the trimmer pilot to fit your resized cases. I don't understand your having an issue as most pilots are designed for going into the resized neck but it shouldn't take more than ten minutes to fix that issue.

Greg L.