• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading tips for AR15 in 223/5.56

Squid284

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Oregon
I've been reloading for about 2 years for bolt guns and want to get into reloading for my AR which is a newly acquired Stag 24" 1:8" 5.56 chamber. I see a lot of posts for load info, which is great but I want to learn more on the differences/techniques for handloading a semi auto AR15. Any difference in reloading regimen for a 223 vs 5.56 vs Wylde? Crimping or don't bother? Stick to a COAL that fits in the magazine or are there signicantly better results loading .0XX" off the lands? How do I look for signs of over-pressure on brass, are they different on an AR versus a bolt gun? Any tips/tools/advice/best known methods or mistakes to avoid would be greatly appreciated. If I missed a similar thread please point me in the right direction. Thanks

Re: Reloading tips for AR15 in 223/5.56

I load for two ARs and for target/varmint work I use Redding full length dies. I also have RCBS small base dies but have not found them neccessary for function in my rifles. I also have a taper crimp die but it has not been required so I go with no crimp. I use cci br4 and remington 7 1/2 primers and have not had any slam fires. Both of my rifles are 8 twist and shoot bullets from 52 gr to 77gr well. Varget, A2520,Benchmark,8208,Blc-2 powders have all worked well. I load oal so that they just clear the mag Regards

Full length size, small base probably not required. COAL = mag length, with 5.56 or Wylde you'll never reach the lands at mag length. 80gr+ slow fire, single loaded play around with seating depth. I crimp, lightly, with a Lee factory crimp die, not sure its required and can be overdone. Pressure signs are the same, with the addition of rim bending which is more a function of action timing which varies with pressure. I've had no issue with any .223 loads I've tried from any manual, or 5.56 or .223 hi pressure load data. An over book varmint load that shows no pressure in my dad's bolt gun ripped rims, blew primers out, belted the cases, and flowed into the ejector, scary stuff, fortunately only brass was harmed, a definite reminder to always work up in the rifle it will be shot in, and catch and check your brass during load development, opps.

Tag, I'm considering getting into reloading and want to hear more opinions whether to crimp or not.

As long as the neck tension is good, there is no need to crimp rounds for use in an AR.

However, I still use a Lee FCD for piece of mind.

I don't crimp.

The three chambers have minor differences. Basically, the 5.56 has a little longer (deeper cut) in the neck and is rated for mor pressure. The .223 has a longe throat for a variety of bullets. The Wylde chamber is a combination of the two letting a 5.56 shoot longer bullets. The things to be careful of are seating a bullet to long for a throat (causes over pressure) or simply over pressure in a .223.

Thanks guys. I'll be picking up some dies/components in the next month or two.