• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Tumbler Outdoors?

Arbiter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2011
Tampa, FL
Has anyone any first-hand experience with leaving a tumbler outdoors for extended lengths of time, in a high-humidity environment? To cut down on dust and noise, I'm thinking of running the tumbler out on the porch. My concern is that by leaving it outside, the humidity may cause issues with the walnut media. Since this is Florida, and we can pretty much drink the air around here, I'm worried about how long it can last. Anyone else face the same issue?

Re: Reloading Tumbler Outdoors?

If your worried about the dust and noise you could always run a thumlers tumbler and SS media. It's still noisy but no dust.

Get one of the bigger plastic storage bins w/cover. Do your tumbling outside then pack everything in the bin to store indoors.

I've tumbled outside in dry West Texas and humid East Texas with no problems. There might be some rust somewhere hidden, but I haven't noticed any after 6 years or so. I keep it in a tool shed when not in use.

The only thing I store in a climate controlled environment is my powder and primers. Everything else is mounted to the bench in my shop, including my tumbler. Never had a problem with the humidity causing any issues with the media.

I'm in Houston with all it's humidity. I keep my tumbler in the garage. When I tumble I move it just outside of the door. It runs for hours. I've been doing it that way for years. The little springs are the only parts that show any rust.

I keep everything else in the garage apt above with the AC set at 85.

No issues keeping mine in a south Texas garage. I do not store the media in the tumbler though. I dump it into a bucket when finished. I found that the additives I put in the media degrade some of the rubber components over time.

I did it for a year in PA at my old apartment. We have a couple months a year where the humidity gets to "cutting the air with a knife" levels. Not quite drinking it but still substantial.

No issues all the way around.

I'm using SS media now to clean and a final polish in the corncob.

get a thumbler tumbler & stainless steel media, you wont regret it

+1 on the Thumbler. I used to remove the media from the vibrator and store in a covered container to keep the cleaner from evaporating out of it. Also you can cut up dryer sheets (Bounce, etc.) which is supposed to help with the dust. Or, you might change your corn cob more often, newer stuff has less dust, just as noisy though.

I tumble indoors with a lid and pour my tumber outside. It keeps the walnut dust out side and tumbels inside. Most of the time I tumble with corncob. Less dust.

Many years ago I built a tumbler for cleaning brass industrial parts in Arkansas out of a plastic 55 gal drum. I used walnut hulls and it stayed outside for 12 years with no problems. Only a sheet of tin over it for cover. Never changed the media.