• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Virgin

EHans34

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2020
Ohio, USA
I’m looking to get into reloading in the future. I’ll be starting out with my .300 win mag. I want to use 200-230 gr ammo. Can anyone recommend the best supplies and equipment for me? Every bit of information helps.

It all comes down to accuracy expectations and budget.

If you are on a budget purchase a RCBS rockchucker Kit and add to the kit as needed.

If you are going to be shooting extremely long range and require the most accurate ammo you can assemble then you need better equipment. my .02 cents

1. Forster relaoding die with micrometer seater
2. Forster Co AX press
3. Loading blocks
4. case lube
5. Vibratory cleaner, Sonic cleaner, or wet tumbler. Your choice here. Many differing opinions I like wet tumbling.
6. Chamfer and priming tool. Sinclair makes nice ones
7. pocket uniformer and primer pocket cleaner. Should come with a kit or any one will do
8.Case trimmer. If you are not doing high volume a L.E. wison with micrometer will do. If you want the best then Giraud tool.
9 dial calipers. get a set on sale at midway or Amazon.
10. Gauges. seating depth if you want to chase the lands and headspace gauges. You will want a bullet comparator as well. Hornady makes these and are popular.
11. Powder dispenser. Many use a RCBS chargemaster. If you are shooting extremely long then I would look into a autotrickler V3 with a satorious scale.
12. various loading manuals. Speer, Sierra, etc... all have useful information.

if you want to get more accuracy then you can turn the necks of your cases and use a forming mandrel to control exact neck tension,.

I am sure I left some things out but others should chime in.

Yes then you are going to have to spring for the high dollar equipment. I would definetly buy the autotrickler v3 and the lab grade scale. I would suggest you turn your necks and use a forming mandrel to get consistent neck tension. You will probably need to weigh and sort your brass and bullets. I trust you will be using Lapua brass. You will probably end up needing to anneal your cases after 2 or three firings. You will need an annealer as well. In short I would suggest you call Sinclair internationl, Creedmoor sports, or Grafs and tell them what you are doing and they will be happy to sell you some equipment.

Reactions: EHans34
Be careful my friend. Remeber there is an explosion happening in your rifle. keep your reloads within pressure tolerances. All it takes is one mistake to ruin your day. When you are dumping powder check, recheck, double check your charge weights. do not ask your gun to do something it was not designed to do muzzle velocity wise.

Reactions: EHans34