• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading?

DangerStove

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2018
I just listened to a podcast called "Guntalk" and the subject was reloading. The host had a guest on and they both agreed that with factory ammunition being what it is, there is no longer a need to relod rifle cartridges. Is there any truth to this?
I haven't shot any factory loads in a few years so I have no data to support or refute this claim.

I just listened to a podcast called "Guntalk" and the subject was reloading. The host had a guest on and they both agreed that with factory ammunition being what it is, there is no longer a need to relod rifle cartridges. Is there any truth to this?
I haven't shot any factory loads in a few years so I have no data to support or refute this claim.

"Need" is the wrong way to put this.

If you find a factory load that shoots great in your rifle, and you dont have time to load, and you dont shoot tons of ammo per month, then sure buy away.

But, I can load any match ammo cheaper than you can buy them and shoot more than the majority so it makes sense for me to reload. And those barrels that just dont like factory loads, I can always find a good load for that barrel.

Reactions: Kadams1563
"Need" is the wrong way to put this.

If you find a factory load that shoots great in your rifle, and you dont have time to load, and you dont shoot tons of ammo per month, then sure buy away.

But, I can load any match ammo cheaper than you can buy them and shoot more than the majority so it makes sense for me to reload. And those barrels that just dont like factory loads, I can always find a good load for that barrel.

That's what I figured, my tikka t3 didn't shoot factory ammo well after break in and I have just handloaded since. Same with my AR build. Thanks for the response

My rifle(s) shoots sub MOA with Factory - have shot a lot of Hornady 6.5 CM with the ELD match bullets. Saved the brass, bought 147 gr. ELD M bullets and started Hand Loading 6.5. The accuracy so far is even better than the factory and factoring in the already purchased/saved brass I'm spending les s than half what I spend per round for factory. I also hand load 5.56 and it's pretty dang cheap compared to factory while being able to be loaded on demand when the last shortage shows itself.

That does not include my time - instead of watching TV I hand load for my rifles and have hand loaded for my pistols for decades.

It's an intensely personal choice (to hand load/reload) and one size will not fill all shooters. I'm meticulous by nature and generic things don;t really appeal. If a person shoots 100 rounds a season primarily for hunting or just target shoots for the pleasure of shooting then gearing up to make hand loaded, precision ammunition built to the exact gun it will be fired in probably won't appeal much. Next season/year I'll be shooting basically precision hand loads for half what it costs me to buy factory.

VooDoo

My rifle(s) shoots sub MOA with Factory - have shot a lot of Hornady 6.5 CM with the ELD match bullets. Saved the brass, bought 147 gr. ELD M bullets and started Hand Loading 6.5. The accuracy so far is even better than the factory and factoring in the already purchased/saved brass I'm spending les s than half what I spend per round for factory. I also hand load 5.56 and it's pretty dang cheap compared to factory while being able to be loaded on demand when the last shortage shows itself.

That does not include my time - instead of watching TV I hand load for my rifles and have hand loaded for my pistols for decades.

It's an intensely personal choice (to hand load/reload) and one size will not fill all shooters. I'm meticulous by nature and generic things don;t really appeal. If a person shoots 100 rounds a season primarily for hunting or just target shoots for the pleasure of shooting then gearing up to make hand loaded, precision ammunition built to the exact gun it will be fired in probably won't appeal much. Next season/year I'll be shooting basically precision hand loads for half what it costs me to buy factory.

VooDoo

I have recently started reloading pistol ammo as I had my first USPSA match last weekend. I agree that spending time reloading is far more rewarding than sitting down in front of the TV. I have been reloading .223 and 6.5 for a while now and do agree that more accuracy can be gained which translates to better hits at distance past 400yds.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Also, there's the question of "reloading" vs "hand loading"....if factory loaded ammo is good enough for a shooter he may not realize the potential for matching the ammunition to the individual rifle, chamber, shooter, and task.

I personally do not reload ammunition - I hand load to maximize accuracy.

VooDoo

Have you ever chronoed factory ammo? In different weather? You hear a lot of stupid stuff at the range. Guntalk is that plus a radio transmitter.

Have you ever chronoed factory ammo? In different weather? You hear a lot of stupid stuff at the range. Guntalk is that plus a radio transmitter.

Then I mist correct my statement and say that I am a handloader. I have never chronoed factory ammo and have only shot my handloads in inclimate weather from hot to cold. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who thinks that radio station is like the crazy stuff one hears at the range.