• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Relocating my operation, need some ideas

Swift

Chief Bagel Technician
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I've finally cleared out enough space that I can move my reloading equipment out of the woodshop and sawdust into a nicer, cleaner environment. However, it's an empty room so I need to piece together some kind of bench and storage. Setting up in the shop was easy because the bench is 14' long and spacious, but things tend to get spread out so I'd like to consolidate this new setup. Items I use most:

Lee press
dies
couple lbs powder
beam scale
dippers
trickler
couple boxes bullets
primers
small prep pieces

I don't know if I should build a new bench or order one and what I should use for storage. Any links or photos are welcome. Just trying to brainstorm here.

Re: Relocating my operation, need some ideas

i built a small bench adjacent to my toolboxes.
my friend is thinking about buying a wooden work bench from harbor frieght, at a good price. easy, fast and cheap.

Storage is going to be more important as you collet new stuff. It adds up over the years so do a little planning on the front end with an eye on expansion.

Separate spaces for powder and primers are just about required. Brass and bullets can live with either.

OFG

I reload in the attic over my garage and have a limited amount of room however I use several different presses and tools so I built a bench that is 4'x6' and can be disassembled fairly easily. The top is 2x6s with a 3/4" oak plywood glued and screwed over the 2x6s. The legs are 4x4s and it's heavy. I put it in the middle of the floor so that I can work on all sides of it. I have my single stage press on one corner and my Dillon 550B on another corner plus various other tools mounted at the ends so with one, smaller bench I have much more usable space.

Do a Google search for "NRMA Reloading Bench Plans". I used it as a basis for my bench and found it to be extremely solid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do a Google search for "NRMA Reloading Bench Plans". I used it as a basis for my bench and found it to be extremely solid.</div></div>

That looks like a fun weekend project. I'm gonna price out the materials at the lumberyard, although if I'm gonna spend the time to make it, I'd probably substitute most of the plywood for beech or pine and finish the benchtop with maple.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sams Club sells an awesome table and tool chest combo that I use. Really sturdy construction.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/ultra-heavy-duty-workbench/prod1490086.ip?navAction=

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/ultra-heavy-duty-6-drawer-cabinet/prod2140859.ip

</div></div>

All of the Sam's Clubs here have been replaced by Costco but that's a good idea. It's astonishing the amount of crap you can find in those stores. TVs to clothes to power tools to 9lb bags of gummy bears(ask me how I know that one)

Look up maple-top butchers block...really nice table top for custom work bench

Ive seen and 8ft piece for under 200 hundred the was 1.75in thick and 30in deep...It was on a website called grizzly or grizzly something? sorry I cant remember

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do a Google search for "NRMA Reloading Bench Plans". I used it as a basis for my bench and found it to be extremely solid.</div></div>

I built this one a couple of months ago and am very happy with it. It's heavy and solid with enough storage for the stuff I use the most. I highly recommend it.

This makes a great bench. I paid $79 and got free shipping, but $150 is still worth it. Just add a top. The maple butcher block is sweet, but spendy. I used veneer 3/4" plywood with a 2x4 ladder frame underneath. Rock solid, and about $75 all up, including torx-drive deck screws and 90° engineered brackets.

I had the whole thing up and running in about 2 hours.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000DD362/ref=mp_s_a_6?pi=75x55&qid=1345431277&sr=8-6

I am putting a bench together currently. It is a work in progress I have been at it for several weeks. The toughest part was cleaning out the garage in preparation for the build. I framed out a base with 2x4s and bracketed/tapcon screwed it off to the block wall. I then bought (2) 36"x80" solid-core slab doors from Lowes. a little stain and 3 coats of poly later:

IMG_1025.jpg

I have since mounted the drill press, bench grinder, rockchucker II press, and a real wall mounted fan as well as a jammin stereo. The doors were $55 each and the bench is solid as a rock. I weigh 220 and I have walked all over it with no movement whatsoever. I then framed out a cabinet and mounted it to the opposite wall about 8" off the floor (everything off the floor for EZ cleaning). I used 6-panel doors with spring catches for the cabinets to give them a more finished look:

IMG_1024.jpg

The insides of the cabinets have the inexpensive ladder-style strips with shelve clips for simple adjustable shelving. I will try to post up pics of the working set-up when I am closer to being finished. I have less than $200 in the 13+ foot bench and about $350 in the 12 foot cabinet total.

Where do you live to be able to reload in the garage? Where I am the humidity is so bad everything would be rusted in lest than a week with some serious work to keep it clean, dry, and serviceable

I live in Florida, no problems with my tools rusting. I have air conditioned storage for powders and primers, and I just installed the baffle/duct in the garage to air condition the garage on demand. I close the door and the place is chilling in about 5 minutes! The wife needed a little calming down after she saw it tho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redhooker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and I just installed the baffle/duct in the garage to air condition the garage on demand. I close the door and the place is chilling in about 5 minutes! The wife needed a little calming down after she saw it tho. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">EXCELLENT!!</span>