• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Relocation - "Retirement" homestead, what state?

Smitty192

Stand-up Philosopher
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Deep East Texas
We currently live in East TX and my wife and myself both work remotely. We have been dicussing one final move to a more remote location to ride out the crazy until it's time for the big dirt nap. We love living in TX and we are in a pretty rural area now. However, the heat & humidity will not be tenable as we get into our 60s and beyond. I don't want any harsh winters or heavy snowfall. I don't want anything on the gulf coast - a hurricane wiping out infrastructure and no means to rebuild. I would love to find somewhere that is as gun friendly as TX with no or low taxes.

We are still a couple of years away from being ready to drop some coin on land but we would like to narrow our list down and start traveling to some of the potential new sites to get a feel for the area.

Fire away with suggestions. Thank you.

Personally, the wife and I settled on West Virginia. Its very 2A friendly, has plenty of mountains for remote cabins, the cost of living is low and its a pretty red state. It also has 4 distinct seasons so gardens are easy to plan.
I lived in Lewisburg near the Greenbriar river for several years. Absolutely beautiful country. What part of the state did you settle in?

Reactions: jakelly
No heat and humidity, no hard winters or heavy snow, and no hurricanes. The only states I can think of like that are not gun friendly. NM, NV, AZ, and CA. Maybe TX pan handle, Pampa, Canadian, with Amarillo just a couple hours away. Here in SE CO we aren't humid, our winters are fairly mild, we don't usually get heavy snow, but sometimes. CO is fairly gun friendly and taxes aren't too bad, but I expect that to change. Another thing to look at is utility rates. Property taxes in NE are really high, but when looking at it as a whole. Taxes+utilities, it evens out a lot comparing NE to CO.

• Angry
Reactions: OREGUN
Wyoming is beautiful year round and has lots of open spaces.

Depends on if you like fried bacon or frozen popsicles. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nearly the entire state of NV is public land. Unfortunate its just because no one wants it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Wrong. Nevada has less public land than Texas, and there is a $3,000 fee to visit state/federal parks. All hunting and fishing is banned in the state.

Wrong. Nevada has less public land than Texas, and there is a $3,000 fee to visit state/federal parks. All hunting and fishing is banned in the state.
1690031318205.jpeg

We retied in rural middle GA to be away from Atlanta and closer to kids. We were looking at the northern parts of Mississippi and Alabama. One thing I learned is look at states with the weather you want but also avoid any stated with a large urban area as that large urban area will be/become BLUE and dominate the rest of the state (Atlanta and GA, Nashville and TN, etc.).

Reactions: mosin46 and Balor
Brother it would be strange to ask fellas on a sniper forum to make such a crucial life decision.

Where are your roots and family? Are you a farmer? A hunter? These are just rhetorical questions because it's very personal. You know where you should be, a man just has to take the lead and make a decision. If you are farming, climate and soil is crucial to consider. I don't know what you mean by "riding out the crazy" but popular unrest is concentrated in urban and sometimes suburban population centers.

As in, famine and disease, violent conflict and rioting. The food shortages, looting, COVID BS, lockdowns, gun laws, pinko government, and so on. Whereas country people grow the food that feeds the nation and can survive on fish and game if need be, as well as gardening and foraging. You can't loot an empty grocery store, and that food comes from farms. Rural Americans are heavily, heavily armed for good reasons. To police rural property and kill predator animals that threaten livestock and crops.

Brother it would be strange to ask fellas on a sniper forum to make such a crucial life decision.

Where are your roots and family? Are you a farmer? A hunter? These are just rhetorical questions because it's very personal. You know where you should be, a man just has to take the lead and make a decision. If you are farming, climate and soil is crucial to consider. I don't know what you mean by "riding out the crazy" but popular unrest is concentrated in urban and sometimes suburban population centers.

As in, famine and disease, violent conflict and rioting. The food shortages, looting, COVID BS, lockdowns, gun laws, pinko government, and so on. Whereas country people grow the food that feeds the nation and can survive on fish and game if need be, as well as gardening and foraging. You can't loot an empty grocery store, and that food comes from farms. Rural Americans are heavily, heavily armed for good reasons. To police rural property and kill predator animals that threaten livestock and crops.
I think the world is circling the drain and it isn't going to get better. All of the sociatal ills you listed aren't going away. We just want to live out our lives without being micromanaged by the gov't. Some place that can facilitate farming & hunting without the blistering heat. You make valid points. Thanks for chiming in.

We retied in rural middle GA to be away from Atlanta and closer to kids. We were looking at the northern parts of Mississippi and Alabama. One thing I learned is look at states with the weather you want but also avoid any stated with a large urban area as that large urban area will be/become BLUE and dominate the rest of the state (Atlanta and GA, Nashville and TN, etc.).
We lived in Northern Illinois well away from the shithole of Chicago. But we could never escape the hold they have on the state politics.

I think the world is circling the drain and it isn't going to get better. All of the sociatal ills you listed aren't going away. We just want to live out our lives without being micromanaged by the gov't. Some place that can facilitate farming & hunting without the blistering heat. You make valid points. Thanks for chiming in.
Oklahoma has great people, few gun laws, and lovely country.

Downsides are tornados, hail, and heat.

Reactions: Smitty192
Washington State Sucks, gun bans, dipshit democrats, high fuel prices, endless taxes...

Hot summers, cold winters, but the humidity aint bad and its where my family is located.

There will be places infinitely better than others though
Agree 1000%! I'm trying to figure out the optimal and/or minimum distance from large population centers. Goal is to be far enough that it is unappealing or logistically difficult to get from those population centers to the retirement property.

Reactions: Lightning8
Your question is "timely".
As many of the visionaries will admit, no one knows what the future will hold.
There are some good comments, above.
The only comments I can make are specific to my situation. My home was a 40' fifthwheel as I traveled / worked all over America. 7 - 8 years ago, I was in your position. I had learned about a lot of places. I chose to retire to the Bitterroot Valley of Montana. When I got here I bought a dump that no one else would even make an offer on. It looks better now. Unfortunately people migrated here for many reasons (pandemic, work from home and the show Yellowstone). Last year the runway was extended at the small airport and now the mid sized corporate jets are in and out of here daily. Big Money has followed the migration. I lived in Boom Towns all during my working years because there was local leaders who never dealt with migration. Every job was due to the infrastructure (water, sewer, roads, grid,schools, hospitals, electrical generating plants, retail shope, etc) being over loaded. The city council's and county commissioner's don't have a clue about "planning". It becomes a knee jerk region due to the developer's being sharper than the dairy farmer who is now a Commissioner. This may sound counter productive but, look at places no one else would have a desire to live. Take a compass and a map of the area you are looking and draw a circle around the nearest metro city and include the suburbs. Then draw another larger circle our about 40 miles farther out. That second circle is where you should be looking.

Your health and your wife's will deteriorate exponentially as you age. A 100 mile round trip for a doctor's visit will make you question your location.

If all else fails, pray about your situation and just sit tight. We call that " Waiting on the Lord". Some will understand that plan.

Agree 1000%! I'm trying to figure out the optimal and/or minimum distance from large population centers. Goal is to be far enough that it is unappealing or logistically difficult to get from those population centers to the retirement property.
Suburbs of big urban centers will be overrun by those fleeing the concrete jungle

If all else fails, pray about your situation and just sit tight. We call that " Waiting on the Lord". Some will understand that plan.
Thanks for the reminder, older I get the more I need 'em. IMHO, seeking, asking and knocking should be foundation. Seeking multitudinous counsel is part of the manual too..

Your health and your wife's will deteriorate exponentially as you age. A 100 mile round trip for a doctor's visit will make you question your location.
Relying on modern medicine has gotten me so far behind it's not humorous. With that said, I will say the shoulder replacement went spectacularly and delivered as promised. Now I'm trying to build a sustainable plan which won't cost me 1/3rd of my retirement income.

IMHO, it's the 100 mile trip to get groceries every now and then. That is the gotcha for living in the boonies.. :)

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
We currently live in East TX and my wife and myself both work remotely. We have been dicussing one final move to a more remote location to ride out the crazy until it's time for the big dirt nap. We love living in TX and we are in a pretty rural area now. However, the heat & humidity will not be tenable as we get into our 60s and beyond. I don't want any harsh winters or heavy snowfall. I don't want anything on the gulf coast - a hurricane wiping out infrastructure and no means to rebuild. I would love to find somewhere that is as gun friendly as TX with no or low taxes.

We are still a couple of years away from being ready to drop some coin on land but we would like to narrow our list down and start traveling to some of the potential new sites to get a feel for the area.

Fire away with suggestions. Thank you.
Uniontown Alabama !👍

Reactions: BCP and johnnycat
Americus is hotter than shit in the summer and Macon is the bug line. I survived three Freakniks in ATL and loved every one of them. Gainesville was a nce area when I lived there in 96. Temperate weather and far enough from the city to avoid the problems, but close enough to be there in about 30 minutes.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Americus is hotter than shit in the summer and Macon is the bug line. I survived three Freakniks in ATL and loved every one of them. Gainesville was a nce area when I lived there in 96. Temperate weather and far enough from the city to avoid the problems, but close enough to be there in about 30 minutes.
Gainesville has changed a bit since 96 - essentially suburb of ATL

Reactions: Jsp556
Mississippi does presently have income tax, BUT, there is no state income tax on retirement income. There is talk about doing away with the income tax, but nothing so far. It is pretty nice in a lot of places, but hot and humid in the summer, lots of tornadoes, occasional hurricane, and stay out of the urban areas, Jackson and the Delta.

Ain’t much diff in NE Tx and SW Ark. I like where I live besides Humid Summers. They suk!
NE gets heavy snow. With the pretty specific limitations laid out in the OP not hot humid no heavey snow. Most every place mentioned would be out so far. Except Wyoming. Nice weather, zero snow, the wind never blows. Definitely no snow hurricanes in that frozen wast....I mean sub tropical paradise.

Georgia is full. Nothing but communists, gun bans, and 100% tax rate.

Reactions: Jsp556
NE gets heavy snow. With the pretty specific limitations laid out in the OP not hot humid no heavey snow. Most every place mentioned would be out so far. Except Wyoming. Nice weather, zero snow, the wind never blows. Definitely no snow hurricanes in that frozen wast....I mean sub tropical paradise.
For once Corney isnt smoking crack or talkin out his ass. These fences in Wyoming are purely decorative.

3100934275_1af3a30810_b.jpg

Wyoming_SnowFences01.jpg

Oh, look our own weed smoking pseudo intellectual urban legend spreader, copy pasta post stealer is trying throw shade my direction. Dont worry dude your bong doesn't judge you.

• Haha
Reactions: johnnycat