• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloder 16 6 dasher

I read this article, I'm having a hard time understanding if it's better speed/better barrel life than varget which is what I had planned on using.

the double base powders having been as good on barrel life as the single base like varget or 4350. I'm experiencing that with the rl16 in the 6 creed. not sure why you would want to use rl16 in a dasher. I think with that case size a faster powder would be better, like varget. rl16 is more of a replacement for h4350, so its great in the creed size cases. varget seems to be available now too

Just making sure I couldn't get better accuracy and or longer barrel life/ better speed. Varget is the plan for now, already have 8 lbs

I have shot the 6 Dasher a bunch and never found anything that is, overall, as good as Varget. I typically shoot the 105 grain, either Berger Hybrid or EPS custom, ahead of 32.5 to 32.8 Varget.
For pure speed (I've also shot my best 1,000 yard 5-shot with it) try Alliant 2000-MR. You can usually work up to over 3,100 FPS with those same bullets.
The Dasher does not normally provide what is considered long barrel life with any powder/bullet. Normally inside 1500 rounds and the throat is getting too long. Warning, though, 2000-MR will eat up the barrel even faster.

I shoot a 6 BRDX which holds about .8 grs less powder than a Dasher,,I have had very good results with 36 grs H4350 with the 105 VLD Hunting bullet,,it is no problem to get ES in single digits and SD`s in the 3-4 range,,the last time I checked it was running 3015 fps from a 27 inch bbl,,
most people dont like it because you have to drop it through a 10-12 inch tube to get that load in the case but it shoots really well,,,,I would think RL16 would be close to the same deal,,
most of the locals shoot some kind of mil-surp pull down RL15 and the 103 Vapor Trails in their Dashers for 600-1000 yard IBS Benchrest but I cant afford those bullets to shoot steel plates,,

Thank you very much for the insight. I'm just looking for easy, accurate loads so I'll probably go with the 105 hybrid or 110 SMK and varget. Speed isn't a huge concern to me, but barrel life is. I would like to get 2000 rounds before having to replace or set back. Ill make sure to not heat the barrel up except for PRS comps.

I've been shooting Dashers since getting my 1st one in 2004; to begin with, we all used Varget. I was happy with the accuracy & velocity, but couldn't help noticing how rough that 1st wet patch felt when pushing Varget fouling out of the bore. I had an 8lb jug of Viht N150, and because it was listed as slightly slower than Varget, decided to try it. I never got an appreciable amount of extra velocity with it, but the accuracy was at least as good as Varget, and QuickLoad shows it has an appreciable lower flame temp than Varget. At that time, I was loading 34.5-35grs of N150, but over the years, the burn rate of N150 seems to have gotten faster, and with recent lots, I'm not able to load any more of it than of Varget - around 32.5grs.

I'm also a fan of IMR 4007SSC, but have only tried one load in one of my current Dashers. Will be working with it this fall/winter to see if accuracy potential is as good as Varget. I'd bought a couple of 8lb jugs of it years ago, and had used quite a bit of it in a couple of 6.5x47s - mostly with 123s - with great accuracy. Wasn't all that crazy about spending time working with it, since IMR discontinued it, but recently found three more 8lb jugs at a very good price, so with 32lbs of it sitting around, I need to find a good use for it.

Several of the guys I know who shoot Dashers in PRS matches are using H4350 and getting very good accuracy with it. I've personally never loaded H4350 in anything I shoot, but am getting ready to dive into load development in the Dasher with RL16. It's pretty bulky for such a small case, but I've got a homemade drop tube that works wonders when it comes to getting powder kernels to settle. Copied the design for it from an article in Precision Shooting magazine years ago, using some hobby shop brass tubing that I annealed to dead soft condition so it wouldn't kink while putting the bends in it, and some clear acrylic rod for the ends. Will try to find a photo of this drop tube to post up - need to organize photos I have on the hard drive on this computer & USB drives so I can find what I'm looking for without spending an hour looking...lol

Ahah! Found it. I turned an aluminum sleeve to attach the red plastic powder funnel to the acrylic end at the top of the drop tube. Don't really know for a fact why the bends in the tube work so well, but perhaps they get the powder kernels swirling as they drop, and pack into a case better because of it?

Attachments

• P1020181.JPG
    P1020181.JPG
    648 KB · Views: 76