• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 40x repeater

troupe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2005
Greenville, NC
I have picked up a old Remington 40X repeater action complete with bottom metal , trigger. Serial # 310XX B The action is smooth and of coarse it has the clip slot. It does have a couple of cuts that I am not familiar with. A small notch on top of the receiver, I guess for long bullets I am sure, and a notch, round cut at the top of the ejection port. Unlike the standard U cut that all 700's have. The bolt handle is very thin looking also, unlike the bolt handles of today. Maybe I am just not familiar with this old action. Any thoughts.

Would this be a good candidate for a vintage sniper build?

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like a vintage 40X receiver with the clip slot, bullet nose cut and possibly a thumb cut (need to see pics). The thin bolt handle is early and quite desirable. These were used on a few different rifles, I've seen them used on some Army AMU shooting team rifles, USMC "Space Guns" (target rifle with McMillan prone stock) and even a few M40A1 rifles in the mid 1990's. While technically not correct for an A1 build, a few slipped through the cracks, but that was very quickly rectified when the 2112's realized it.

5 of those receivers were returned to Remington and exchanged for 700 marked receivers (the Corps also retained a few to use as target rifle receivers). Those 5 returned receivers were then purchased by Dan Ross and he ended up selling them years later. I've owned 2 of the 5 USMC returned 40X receivers, I sold one of them, the other is on a very, very early PWS A3 build (dated February 2001, 10 whole months befire the first batch of A3's were build for sniper platoons in the fleet).

None of the 40X receivers made it to A3 rifles, this is just what Dan wanted PWS to build him over 20 years ago on that receiver. The other 4 40X return receivers were also build into A3's at Dan's request. These 5 receivers now sell for stupid amounts of money, since provenance paperwork is included with them (I have copies for all 5 receivers).

TL/DR: build a target rifle or a somewhat incorrect M40A1.

Hope this helps.

Photos of my rifle and the loose receiver. Both of these are part the 5 40X receivers that the Corps sent back to Remington in the mid 90's. I'm going to swap the S&B for a Unertl, but I'm too lazy to do so anytime soon.

sY7YOgj.jpeg

zzumHsS.jpeg

FPIBptx.jpeg

QVbv9Wr.jpeg

gUiWd5o.jpeg

xaJW4BG.jpeg

That is the receiver that I got for sure. Serial is a 5 digit and the bolt handle is thin. When I first seen it, I thought that the handle had been changed, but as you said, it is just a early model.

Thank you so much for taking the time Sir, I feel that it a nice old action. It is very smooth.

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
I have one I can't decide if I should leave alone and add Globe sights, or build it into something else one day.

Maybe piss some people off with a wanna be M40 in 6br....

Reactions: Charlie112