• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 40XB or 5R milspec?

MOOSEKNUCKLE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Ohio
I am dealing with two different sellers.
1: NIB 5R for $900
2: 40XB 308 Tactical used 150rnds fired $2200
Is the 40XB worth the big $ or can you tune the 5R to be as accurate? I have a 40X KS in .220 swift but havent shot it much to check groups.

Re: Rem 40XB or 5R milspec?

I bought the 5R .308 and I love it. I bought mine from Fin Feather Fur and it was a good deal. If you have large hands then you should be fine, but the grip on the standard stock sucks for me, I am looking to upgrade soon (MSR I hope)... after my NF scope and a few $$ later...

I have a 5r 223 and love it, shoots extremely well, having a tactical bolt knob being installed and having the barrel threaded for my AAC M4 2000 suppressor right now, but the 5r is a great gun, the x mark trigger needs to be replaced and the grip area on the hs stock is pretty thick unless you have big hands. Hard to wrong with the 5r but I've never shot the 40x so I am a little biased.

Hi Moose!

Looks like we're in the same boat. I was kicking around the same options myself. I think I'm going to purchase the action, trigger, barrel and bottom metal seperately and have them assembled by GAP or another reputable gunsmith. It seems like a lot of folks upgrade quickly anyways. Only cry once is what I say. Besides you were the one who talked me into purchasing my AR last year.

Hope you are enjoying your black rifle. Ive dropped some $ in mine. Acog on one, Eotech on the other, and still deciding on the third. Bought a real nice YHM Diamond Specter too.

The 40x is definitely a better rifle but the 5R is no slouch. It will cost less to upgrade the 5R and would personalize it. I love my 40x but in this case I would get the 5R, change the stock and get a better trigger.