• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 581 Trainer rebuild

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
Well it took a while but Im done and very happy. This was my first rifle and has eaten a ton of rounds. I considered going nuts with a full rebarrel but it still delivers 3/4" at 50yards with hunting ammo and I cannot hold much better than that in the field.

The stock is a duplicate of the BC light tactical that I will be running on my match rifle so I wanted a close match. Because the only power tool used was a drill press to get the inlet as straight as possible I made a laminate with hard maple for the core and basswood on the outside so it would be easy to shape with a rasp. I did it kind of backwards and did the inlet first so I was working with parallel and perpendicular surfaces. Once that was done I cut out the rough outline and went to work contouring it. Made one hell of a pile of shavings with a hand planer and rasp. I ended up opening a trough in the forend and added a 1/2" piece of steel to add some weight out front. The only work I did on the action was adding an additional pillar which was probably a complete waste of time. The one thing that caught me off guard was I deliberately made the stock thicker through the action and I could not find a duplicate action screw long enough. (so if you know of a source for 5/16 with 24tpi other than a basic bolt let me know, brownells had nothing and the threading inserts will not work for the size I need).

The stock and all metal was finished with Coyote Cerakote air cure, the black is all alumahyde II and the tan and white are duracoat. I guess this will answer some of the questions of what is more durable. I also textured the grip and forend with marinetex but will stick with devcon after this, for me the marinetex layed down a little flatter. I like the way the devcon dries into nasty points that can be filed down to get the grip desired.

golf006.jpg

Finishedtrainer002.jpg

Re: Rem 581 Trainer rebuild

Your paint work turned out great, now that I can see the whole rifle I think the contrast on the silouettes is just right. And I did your rendition of the skull and crossbones.

Yep, only power tool used was the drill press, everything else was a rasp and a bunch of time. I would not recommend it but nobody makes a stock for the 581 and I got exactly what I wanted.

Dude, that is awsome.

Wanna make me one? My first .22LR was a Remmy 581 and it's still sitting in my closet. The stock is too small for me to shoot well now. I mounted a scope on it and WOW, I didn't realize how bad the big old open irons were holding it back.

What scope mount is that?

Lw, well at my rates of about $2 and hour it would probably cost you a full paycheck to get one from me based on how long it took. Of course someone sent me an email of someone on rimfirecentral that will duplicate stocks and custom inlets for about $200
smile.gif
if I can find it I will forward it to you.

The 581s will shoot, thats for sure, Im more than happy to have regular old bulk stuff or CCI minimags going into 3/4" at 50yards. I might break down and get some of the wolf match and see it does with that. I figure it has at least 50,000 rounds through it but it just keeps ticking. Scope mount is a $20 Beeman I had laying around from an air rifle, it survived and kept a springer zeroed so I figured why not.

Here is a close up for the skull, sorry I deleted the PM of who ever requested it.

Finishedtrainer003.jpg