• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 5R .223 vs Custom AR Question

Wild Eyed Southern Boy

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2008
Columbia, Tennessee
I have a "24 .308 Rem "Milspec" 5R that I really like. So much so that I'm thinking of getting a 24" .223 5R.

I've built an AR, 18" mid gas system fluted Sabre Defence 1/7 CMV barrel on Sabre upper (M4 ramps)and lower, pinned on VLTOR gas block, UBR stock, LaRue LT-104 30MM mount and Gieselle Enhanced SSA trigger. It shoots great with Blackhills .223 69 & 72 grain.

There's where the question arises.
After watching a friend's (an experienced handloader) cherry M1A supermatch spectacularly disassemble itself after a slam-fire with handloads, I've been reluctant to run reloads through it.

That's why I've been thinking about the bolt gun. I've reloaded bolt gun stuff for years.
Realistically, will the 24” barrel extend the distance of the .223 over my 18” AR?
Will the 1/9 twist of the Rem 5R handle the 77 gr Matchking?
I haven’t shot further than 300 yards yet but I would like to.
Do I already have similar performance?
I’d appreciate some prior experiences.

Re: Rem 5R .223 vs Custom AR Question

The nice thing with the bolt gun is you can load the rounds a little longer and use some bullets that dont fit in a AR mag real well like the 75gr amax which has a much better bc than a 77 sierra.

I dont know if you could do the 80's but apparently those are the ticket with the 223

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bullfrogslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That's why I've been thinking about the bolt gun. I've reloaded bolt gun stuff for years.
Realistically, will the 24” barrel extend the distance of the .223 over my 18” AR?
Will the 1/9 twist of the Rem 5R handle the 77 gr Matchking?
I haven’t shot further than 300 yards yet but I would like to.
Do I already have similar performance?
I’d appreciate some prior experiences.
</div></div>

I don’t have the R700 5R rather the tactical. I can shoot 77's with no issue but it thrives on 69's. With the 4" of extra barrel the 5R has you may extend the distance compared to you 18", I can get the 77's going (high 2700's) but they seem to be perform there best in my rifle around 2600ish.

I cannot shoot 80's through mine; it is a 1-9. 77's are as heavy as it will take and both of the Hornady A-max are a no go as well. 75's will hit point first but a gun that regularly shoots under 1/2 moa with 69's and 77 BTHP's jumps to 3-4" groups at 100y, YMMV depending on your altitude and velocity obtained. Also, the Remington chamber is long and works well with long loaded rounds. It’s almost as long as a custom I had made just for the Amax's running with the AICS mag system.

The 70 vld might be another good choice. It has the same bc as the 77 smk but can be pushed a good bit faster and per Berger's will stabilize in a 1/9 twist. I am going to try working up a load with them for my SPS tactical here in the next couple weeks.

Speaking to your original question, I have a target AR but still wanted a .223 bolt gun. It is just personal preference, for some reason I just enjoy shooting a manually operated rifle better. Also, as others have mentioned there is a much greater flexibility with cartridge oal's in a bolt gun.