• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 5R 300WM Ammo Question

Krav69

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2007
Does anyone here have a good C.O.A.L for 190 SMK HPBT's for a Remington 5R rifle?

I've checked the Reloding Depot, and some are saying 3.555" but they didn't state that it was for a 5R.

Currently I've made a bunch at 3.334" but I think I might get more accuracy out of the 5R 300WM using some other C.O.A.L.

Just seeing what other 5R's are liking.

Thanks!!

cut the neck on an older case thats been FL sized,then hand set a bullet,then chamber one slow,then remove it and measure. There you go homemade case over all length tool.

cut the neck on an older case thats been FL sized,then hand set a bullet,then chamber one slow,then remove it and measure. There you go homemade case over all length tool.

That or just get a 27$ oal guage. It's money well spent I can assure you. Also a hornady bullet comparator set. Essentials for precise measurements on your loads. P.s. load to the ogive. It never lies

+1 for this method. This is how I've always done mine. I remove the bolt shroud/firing pin assy when trying to find the lands. Seat the bullet long, try to close the bolt. If it won't close seat the bullet a little more, try again..repeat...try again.. until the bolt will close, this will give you a good starting point. Save the dummy round for future reference.

Ehhh, just take a fired case, put a dent into the case mouth, barely insert bullet X, Y, or Z, color it with a Sharpie, or dry erase marker and chamber the round. Knock the bullet out with a cleaning rod and insert back into the mouth, matching up the scrape mark from the case mouth and then measure.

Repeat a few times and average.

Chris

Ehhh, just take a fired case, put a dent into the case mouth, barely insert bullet X, Y, or Z, color it with a Sharpie, or dry erase marker and chamber the round. Knock the bullet out with a cleaning rod and insert back into the mouth, matching up the scrape mark from the case mouth and then measure.

Repeat a few times and average.

Chris

Agreed...The way I do mine may be a little over kill...But that's the way I learned to do it.