• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 5r barrel

josephberry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2009
N Georgia
I've been told that remington does not make the 5r barrel, does anyone know who does? I've heard Rock Creek?

Re: Rem 5r barrel

no if you are talking about the 5R Milspec rifle it is a remington made barrel

Doesn't the 5r have rounded rifling as opposed to squared off? This is supposed to make the rifle easier to clean and velocities a little higher. If so, and the barrel is better and Remington makes it, then why only on the 5r?

Boots Obermeyer was the first one in the US to offer the 5R, next was Mike Rock. It is a variant of Russian rifling and Boots made the first test barrels for Aberdeen Proving Ground Ballistic Test Directorate.
Boots has taught a number of folks how to do this. Border Barrels in England are made this way and I believe Mark Chanlyn (don't know where he is now) makes them.
It is considered a very long life barrel. The M24 has this barrel and many are still going at Army Sniper School Benning with 15,000 + rounds on them and still meet acceptance standards.
I know the guy that ran the acceptance test and they ran basically 10,000 rounds in 10,000 minutes assuming you treat it right.

I have about a dozen Obermeyer and one Rock Barrel.
This is the way to go and a good way to get one on the Rem action.

The term is 5 for 5 groove, R is for radius rifling. There are no sharp edges at bottom or top of lands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boots Obermeyer was the first one in the US to offer the 5R, next was Mike Rock. It is a variant of Russian rifling and Boots made the first test barrels for Aberdeen Proving Ground Ballistic Test Directorate.
Boots has taught a number of folks how to do this. Border Barrels in England are made this way and I believe Mark Chanlyn (don't know where he is now) makes them.
It is considered a very long life barrel. The M24 has this barrel and many are still going at Army Sniper School Benning with 15,000 + rounds on them and still meet acceptance standards.
I know the guy that ran the acceptance test and they ran basically 10,000 rounds in 10,000 minutes assuming you treat it right.

I have about a dozen Obermeyer and one Rock Barrel.
This is the way to go and a good way to get one on the Rem action.

The term is 5 for 5 groove, R is for radius rifling. There are no sharp edges at bottom or top of lands. </div></div>

Broughton also makes this same barrel called the 5C. It is a very high quality barrel with great barrel life and very accurate.

The Army wanted the M24
Remington wanted the contract
Remington supplied the M24 with Mike Rock barrel
I was told by Remington personnel Mike Rock was still making barrels.
Remington to my knowledge hammer forges their barrels.
If you will hold on I will contact my former engineer contact with Remington and axe the boy.

UPDATE: Got responses back from both. Neither are sure what the latest production is with the new owners so you might write Remington Engineering directly.

Mike Rock is still making barrels, you are right there, but not for the M24 or the 5R. Remington makes their own barrels for the 5R, just because its a 5R has nothing to do with who made it. Rock, Kreiger, Obermeyer all make 5R barrels, the 5R is the rifling inside the barrel

deadly is correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told by Remington personnel Mike Rock was still making barrels.
Remington to my knowledge hammer forges their barrels.
</div></div>
True and untrue. Mike still makes 5R barrels, but no longer for Remington.
Remington has expanded caliber selection utilizing their 5R tooling: .223 .308 and .300WM. The 5R Milspec rifles are made in their own shop - not the M-24 shop.

I just got confirmation of the above from a contact "inside". Wrote him three days ago.

Remington now hammer forges their own 5Rs.

I asked if they would consider cutting clip slots in these rifles as well. Will see what happens.

On Auction Arms there is a 5R the guys says was made by Rock but who knows.

I would sure like to borescope a new production 5R.