• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Rem 5R Range Report

srt_1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Steubenville, OH
Finally got some range time in today. The past few shoots I've been on, I've had a hard time finding my targets.

Today, I was able to finally get the 5R tuned in.
Temp: 70
Wind: 3-5mph
Ammo: Fed. Gold Medal Match 168gr

DSC00104.jpg

5 shot group @ 100yrds. The one to the left was my error. Other than that, I am very pleased with the gun!!!

Re: Rem 5R Range Report

I'm planning on reloading here soon. I'm new to the sport and still seeking help on what I need to get started in reloading.

I love range reports but I think it serves best to see the whole box. Next time let's see 4 groups of 5 shots and the first group should include a cold bore. There's really little information in that photo. And how do you know that flier was you? Maybe it was the gun, maybe it was that particular cartridge. Is a 5R capable of producing 4 five shot 1/2" groups in a row with factory Federal ammo? The world may never know.

I like those four but that's still a 1 1/2" group, no way around it.
smile.gif

TwoGun, thanks for the imput, I'll get back out there this weekend hopefully and get a better detailed report.

After I posted the picture, I realized that I had very vague info posted with the pic.

I appreciate any all advice and information that is given from all the hide members.

Looking forward to that next post whether good or bad. Love to see reports with stock guns and factory ammo. Wish there were more. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing. I'm on the lookout for one of these now, I don't think there is another 900$ gun out there like these.

Are you going to stay with the 168gr. or have you thought about trying 175's? I am trying to decide between the two for the same gun and would be curious about any more range reports.

By the way, isn't Steubenville the hometown of Dean Martin?

No need to pay more for the 175's, unless your shooting past 800yds.

Remington "stock" guns are a great deal for the price. I bought my 700PSS .308 in 2002 for $650 and love it for what it is. My only modifications over the years have been a suppressor and Badger bolt knob. The factory barrel has consitantly shot 5in. groups for me at 600yrds with federal 175GMM. I have disliked the HS stock from the begining but I'm working on getting a AICS 1.5 now.
IMG_4226.jpg

5r - my favorite factory rifle.

I thought about trying the 175's, but for the most part, my department is only purchasing the 168's. So that is what I'll be shooting.

Hopefully, my rifle will be done next week and I'll get out for a new range report.

The rifle is at JD Jones (SSK Industries) now getting the barrel turned down and threaded for my suppressor.

WVTrainer,
I too am not impressed with the HS stock on the 5R. I've been looking at different stocks, MCM, AICS, Bell & Carlson..etc Any thoughts or opinions for a stock? I've molested a few MCM A4's in the past but that's about it.

The H-S on the 5R is an excellent stock, it is sleek and narrow. It is a 10-11 lb rifle with scope and bipod. Would I rather have an A5? Absolutely, but then you have to bed the action etc., and it may not shoot better. To me, it doesn't pay to change the stock, true the action and so on. I would save the money for a new build and be happy with the rifle for what it is.

bucster.....good advice, my gunsmith told me the same thing. I guess I'll save up for a new build and leave the 5R alone. It is a very acurate rifle for out of the box factory!

I highly doubt that bedding it to a McM would decrease accuracy, nor would bedding it to your HS. I'd be shocked if it didn't help.

I took a buddy a few weeks back to shoot his unfired 1 year old 5R. I was impressed. It was his first time to shoot any long gun. I sighted it in at 100 yds first. He then shoot a 10 shoot one inch group at 100 yds. It took him an hour to shoot 10 rounds but it was impressive to see a true rookie shot a 1" group first time out. We then moved to 300 yds and shoot my hostage steel plates. Again I sighted him in for 300 yds and he hit the round "bad guy" behind the hostage every shot but one. I was quite impressed with the rifle for the price, weight and feel. We were shooting FGM 168"s. It is not the one hole gun that my GAP is but it sure is nice at 1/3 the price. It would make anybody proud.

SPDsniper- I went around in circles for months on what stock to get. I finally ordered an AICS last week to try out. I really wanted a A-5 but I'm on a budget thanks to this great economy. I figured an A-5 would run $1200 to set it up right with badger floor plate, bedding job, and adjustible settings. I picked up the AICS for $700 flat. I'll give it a run when it gets here and decide what to do then. Anyone want an HS stock?
smile.gif

spdsniper please keep the updates coming. i have a 5-r as well and am interested in getting more info on other peoples groups and what not. my department has only bought fgmm 168's as well. is the rifle yours or the depts.

wpdrebel....The rifle is mine. Our dept has a Rem 700, but were too cheap to purchase another rifle...I bought my own kind of a barganing tool to talk them into sending two of us to sniper school.

I'll definetly keep up with the reports. Hopefully, I'll have it back from the smith by this weekend.

i know what you are talking about. we only had 1 rifle so i researched and bought the first 5-r i could get my hands on. luckily i picked up a second job paying 25 an hour and was able to pay for everything. my pd is so cheap i was lucky to even get match grade ammo.

Same here....I work two different side jobs just to pay for my equipment. The department only supplies us with ammo. Everything else, we have to purchase ourselves.

Edit- Sorry for straying from the original topic. I will get back on track with my reports as soon as my rifle is finished at the smiths.

I fondled on of the 5R's at a shop recently. I am wanting a .223 bolt gun and I might go ahead and kick out the cash and get one. I cannot recall anyone that was dissatisfied with one.

david

Hold up guys, I too recently bought a 5R thats why I was checking out this topic. What really got my attention though was that some of you LEO's have to buy your own service rifles. Are you kidding me, I think that is BS.
Sorry to get off topic but I think this was important to hit on. By the way your comments have motivated me to check with my local law enforcement agencies, if they share your departments policies someones gonna get a rifle on me. Thanks for the info, and the range report.

Great thread fellas - just bought a stock 5r and have a badger 20 moa base and nothing else. Plan on getting a Lupy Mk4 4.5-14x50M1/TMR ret, and a Harris 6-9in bipod. Dont know what kind of sling yet. I too plan on shooting FGMM 168s to begin with b/c I cant find 175s right now.

Hard to believe you have to buy your own rifle, guess the consolation is it goes with you if you move!! Thanks and keep the reports coming, cant wait to shoot mine.

BTW anyone have any info on chamber dimensions/headspace etc for the 5r? Wondering what contributes to their reputation for accuracy. Heard they used to have tighter spec chambers but the lawyers changed that? Anyway, happy to hear any suggestions for a new guy here for my 5r set up.
Thanks!

Congrats on the new rifle.....I just got mine back so I'll be heading out Saturday to do some more range reporting.

Will be adding a Nightforce 30moa base, so I'll have to rezero after that.

I will post new pics and report after Saturday.

as far as accuracy i dont know about the headspace or anything but from what i understand its the barrel. the twist rate and the grooves. someone else i am sure knows more than me and can comment.

Updated Range Report.
DSC00059.jpg

Here is my cold bore shot @ 100yrds. Shooting Fed. Gold Medal Match 168gr.

here are three 3 shot groups. The center is the 1st, top right is the 2nd and bottom left is the 3rd group. On the 3rd group I found myself rushing a bit. Over all, I'm still very pleased with the rifle. I think once I learn to control myself better, my groups will tighten up.
DSC00061.jpg

thank you. It's been difficult lately for me to get out to shoot, but I finally made it. I'm still not as tight as I would like to be or as tight as that rifle shold shoot, but I mainly think it is me not taking my time.

the temp is warming up here, so hopefully I can get out next weekend and get a comparison to this report.

i know what you mean. my wife just had our 2nd baby girl so between that and all the rain we have had lately its been very difficult. there is not but 1 place i can shoot while on duty and if it rains at all i am screwed.

Boy, I hope mine shoots that well. I am still breaking in.

i love my 5r.... i keep missing out on a trip to manettee, but am rolling out there on thurs... i will bring back some pick, and get groups at 475, and 650 on steel....

srry guys.... packed everything but the camera... had a great time knocking around co2 and ppk cans at 565.... my handloaded 168gr gmm clone loads match dope perfectly and grouped a little bit better... it was a good day

Same here....I usually clean mine at the range then put 3 or 4 rounds through it before packing up.

It really is easily cleaned and shoots even better with few rounds down the tube.

Baz - good shooting and thanks for posting the report. Have you shot it with the 175s yet? Curious to see which weight your rifle likes best. I have a 5r I just put up a report on and am trying to figure out what it likes best.
What are you using for cleaning?

Thud - love the handle. The Thud is an amazing aircraft and I have a lot of respect for those crews...Thud ridge is one of my favorite books about Vietnam.

Kypatriot....I haven't shot the 175's yet. I'd like to and get a comparison, however, my department is supplying me with all the 168's. So for now, I like those just because the price is right.

I have an Otis cleaning kit and I use Hoppes to clean with.

Nice shootin Baz, hope you like the new stock. Put a pic up of it when you can!

Do you have a dope table for your FGMM 168s or 175s? Since I have the same rifle (but original stock) I would like to borrow your table if you have one worked out and then tweak it for my rifle. You have a 24in stock barrel right? Yeah, Im lazy I guess but more importantly am interested in good data that works for this rig. I have a TMR reticle and MOA scope so math is in my future regardless if I range with the scope.

I have really been enjoying this rifle. Mine has shot a few .25-.3 inch groups and a few 1 inch groups, but most are at .6 so far. I am hoping I can keep sub-moa out to 500 but so far havent been able to test that. I figure I would have to triple the money to get 50% more precision so I am very happy with this set up so far.

Thanks in advance, and congrats on the new stock. Oh one more thing did you bed it or just torque it down? 65in-lb? Sorry for the interrogation!

Updated range report. Just changed the stock on my Remington 5R to a McMillan A-5. Still shooting the Fed. 168gr Gold Medal Match Ammo. Temp today was 74 deg, Humidity was 73 % and we had a 15 mph wind blowing in from the south. Wind did not have any effect, due to the range being laid out from south to north.

Cold bore was 1 1/2" high and 1/2" left after changing stock. Not sure if that threw off scope or not.
DSC00160.jpg

Three shot confirmation after 1 MOA down and 1/2 MOA right correction put me back in the the 1" center dot.
DSC00161.jpg

Finally, I shot three 3round groups at 75, 50, 25 yards. All three groups were on target.
DSC00162.jpg

Overall, I'm happy to say the 5R is still shooting very well. I'm sure I can and will get my groups to tighten up in time.

Next report I will be doing some long range shooting. I will keep you guys posted.

Here's a few pics after then new stock and paint. KYpatriot, I'll pm you the dope table I have figured out. It is for the 168 FGMM.

DSC00155.jpg

DSC00158.jpg

DSC00159.jpg

for now, i just torqued it down. Maybe in the near future I'll have it bedded down...not sure, so far I'm pretty happy with how it is shooting.

Looks good.. I just painted the barrel/action of my 5R yesterday... Cant wait to get the stock done this weekend and get back out the Thundervalley.

I neeed to get back out to Thunder Valley too...my work schedual has been all messed up this summer...