• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 6 1/2 primers

NH4X

Master Of Sparks
Minuteman
May 19, 2020
Looking through inventory a few days ago and found some Rem 6 1/2 srp primers . Can't remember when they were bought or why ......just to have ? Anyway,for some reason my mind ,memory is telling me , to beware and not use them in regular 223 pressure loads. Seems that I recall reading somewhere, that these primers are to be used in a lower pressure load ,ie 22 hornet loads and the like. Is my memory correct or failing me ?

I use them for 30 carbine loads. Supposed to be kinda thin skinned for higher pressure loads as you mentioned though.

Reactions: simonp
I used 1000 of them a few years back in a 6X47L with 105 gr bullets and had no issues. Was not aware of pressure issues. If I had them today i'd use with no concern.

So I guess clarification might help. It’s not necessarily the pressure if I remember correctly. I believe it has more to do with thin cups and the possibility of them going bang prematurely when used in semi auto guns. I’d venture to say you could used them in bolt guns on a 223 or other srp application.
I used 1000 of them a few years back in a 6X47L with 105 gr bullets and had no issues. Was not aware of pressure issues. If I had them today i'd use with no concern.

So I guess clarification might help. It’s not necessarily the pressure if I remember correctly. I believe it has more to do with thin cups and the possibility of them going bang prematurely when used in semi auto guns. I’d venture to say you could used them in bolt guns on a 223 or other srp application.
I would not use them in my rifles, would not take the chance.You are correct they are for lower pressure. In a bolt rifle you can pierce the primmer and dammage your bolt.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
9mm, 38 special, 45 acp app brass are good places to use them if scared to use them in rifles.

I’ve used them in various rifles for a long time, no issues.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Some saying yea ,some saying nea.......guess I'll load a few and see .Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Thanks for the replies. Will report back with results.

An excerpt from the thread " primer on primers" concerning remington 6 1/2 primer usage:
20220103_055143.jpg

If remington didnt come out with the 7 1/2 primer, developed specifically for the .17 remington, until 1971, what primer did they use in loading other "high pressure" cartridges like the .221 fireball, .222 remington, .222 magnum and .223 prior to that time?

Oh well you got your info from the peanut gallery. Now I'll sit back and watch for the thread "i used a Rem 6.5 in a small rp 6CM now my bolt face looks like this what happened other people use them no problems."

Oh well you got your info from the peanut gallery. Now I'll sit back and watch for the thread "i used a Rem 6.5 in a small rp 6CM now my bolt face looks like this what happened other people use them no problems."

The post above yours may be what I read in the past that told me in my mind to beware.........now ,after thinking this through a tad more, I'm not interested in being the " crash test dummy " nor do I care to have to deal with possible pierced primer and or a possible "run away rata tat tat ".........Have plenty of other srp to load with.......so the 6 1/2 will be moved to back of inventory for sho nuff " hard times".

The reason for even asking about the 6 1/2 ,I was working with Benchmark @25 gr , 55 gr Horn vmax...223...which shot small ,and out of curiosity and boredom wanted to try different primers....."just to see"

...Have plenty of other srp to load with.......so the 6 1/2 will be moved to back of inventory for sho nuff " hard times".
Do you load for pistols? They're perfect for that. I use SRP for .357mag almost exclusively depending on powder, and I've used them for 9mm before without issue.