• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

REM 700 204

TreeClimber300

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
North Carolina
I am looking at buying a Remington model 700 varmint edition in a 204. I am stuck between the VLS VSF and the SPS varmint model. Has anyone had any of these rifles with some info on how they shoot?

Re: REM 700 204

Both are nice and are essentially the same base rifle. You just have to decide if you want to spend 200 dollars more for the stainless and fluting. Either would be fine.
I would go with the SPS-V in .243. It would be a great varmint round and also capable of handling larger game at extended distances.

I have the SPS varmit in 204 and I love it.. It was a little more finicky when it came to the loads I was shooting out of it and I ended up shooting the 45gr sp hornay's with 27 grs of Win 748 and a CCI primer..I can put 10 shots in a row through that heavy barrel and keep them all on a nickel at a hundred... But like wareagle said the money is up to you they will both shoot. I load for a friend that has a 243 varmit rifle and they just use a lot of powder compared to the 204 and for shooting squirels, coyotes and paper the 204 is more economical. Ive filled my extra doe tag for the past 4 years with it. Its a true meat saver and does the job effectively.

I too have a SPS Varmint in 204. It however is not picky on loads, despite excessive free bore. I prefer just buying the 32gr Hornady loads. Like most small bores, it has to have the bore cleaned about every 25 rounds, or by round 30 accuracy begins to deminish.

The cost of the SPS and what I use my 204 for, spending anything other than the bare minimum was just not smart. It is a country gun and has not spent a day at the range. And it has held up. I couldn't justify spending good money on a gun that was used in the field on coyotes.

My vote for a tough field gun is to go for the SPS.