• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rem 700 223 1:9?

InTheHills

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2004
OCONUS
Does anyone know when Remington started offering the faster 1:9 twist in their 223 Remington 700s? I am looking at a trade deal and he knows its an older model "maybe from the 80s" but is unsure of the twist. I am probably going to have him mark the rod and measure it out. I was jsut curious is anyone knew off the top of their head if Remington had offered the faster twist barrels back then.

GM

Re: Rem 700 223 1:9?

It depends on the rifle. Remington still offers the 12 twist on their varmint 223s. From the 80's I'd guess a 12 twist in a 223. He'll have to check to make sure.

Yeah, I have a feeling its going to be a 1:12 and I would much rather have the 1:9. I have a few thousand rounds of 69gr I use in the 1:7 Reece. I was hoping to use some of that cheap stuff while I was saving up for the tune and re-barrel.

Will the 1:12 shoot the 69-75gr stuff ok? It does not have to be perfect I jsut want trigger time to learn.

GM

Actually 69gr is perfect for a 1:9 twist and a 75gr is iffy. Some will stabilize a 75 and some will not. I would not expect a 69 or 75 would work well in a 1:12, but who knows....
YMMV-Rob