• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 223 build range report and build update

bhoges

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2003
Plainview,NY
A few weeks back my buddy wanted to do a writeup on velocity vs barrel length on a 223 factory rifle. I just happened to have a stock Rem700Vs in 223 with a 26in barrel. We chopped her down to 16.5 inches and recorded all the readings along the way. Well once my rifle was pretty much destroyed I needed a new barrel. At the same time I figured I might as well go all out. I ended up with a Shilen barrel M40 profile and Mcmillan stock with Badger metal purchased on the hide. Sucks being left handed the stuff is hard to come by. When we pulled the barrel on the rifle the action was in pretty bad shape. The threads were cut poorly with lots of chatter marks. The lugs had little contact as well. Even with the action being a mess it was a solid shooter 3/4 steady. I attached links to the write-ups on this. Today I loaded some Lapau cases with Varget and 80gr Sierra's and headed off to the range. To date the rifle had only about 50 rounds all factory ammo fired. I did 3 shot groups for load development. I shot 2 targets to make sure the results were consistent. I was very impressed with how well she shot. The 42x Nightforce makes a huge difference. Im waiting on a new Razor from Camerland once it comes in. The rifle looks pretty bad ass. I painted the metal flat dark earth Cerakote and left the stock since it was in excellent shape. The rifle has a 20inch barrel fluted, Rifle basix trigger set at 10oz, Nightforce 10 Moa base, new recoil lug, glass bedded, trued action, the bolt work was done by Campfeld. He does excellent work and a fast turn around time. I can't wait to get this rifle out to the 600 yard line. Almost forgot the bolt I did with Cerakote Microslick.
223 Remington/5.56 NATO, velocity versus barrel length: A man, his chop box and his friend?s rifle | Rifleshooter.com
Refreshing a poorly machined Remington 700 action | Rifleshooter.com

Last edited:
That's a very nice looking rifle! And I enjoyed both articles, well written and thought out. What twist is the barrel? Did your research on barrel length help you to decide on 20 for this barrel? What does the rifle weigh?

The barrel is 1/8 twist. After we did that write-up we decided on 20 inches. Mostly because it looks awesome. Im not sure on the weight. I went with the heavy flutes which removed approx 1 lb from the barrel. The rifle has excellent balance.

Last edited:
Nice work on the rifle and the article. The effort is sincerely appreciated. MTT

Here are some loads I worked up with 77gr bullets. First one is 100 yards 5 shot and others are 200 yards. The 200 yard groups measure 3/8 moa. I pumped to get this out to a match.