• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 223 need some help

shootindude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2011
in the back country of Oregon
I was shooting my 223 today and fired a normal hand load as I always do with the gun and had done the previous 75 shots today. I felt a little almost blast back on my face as I fired it though. I opened the bolt and inspected the case, looked fine to me. I closed the bolt and noticed it would not go into the cocked position. I kept manipulating the bolt and every time it was like I was holding the trigger down. I put it on safe and closed the bolt, it went into cocked position, I took it off safe and it was like pulling the trigger. Anyone ever experience this? Nothing looks broke and no weird wear on anything. I took the 223 bolt and threw it in my 308, it worked fine. I put my 308 bolt into the 223 and again it would not go to a cocked position. Any ideas?

Highest probability is debris got in trigger from a pierced primer.

Take a close look at primer from that round, suspect it is pierced.

If it is a jewel trigger it's toast. Probably. I actually killed a factory trigger with a pierced primer in a 223.

Gents,

It may be a pierced primer OR if it's an older rifle the trigger may be gunked up with oil and debris and need to be flushed out with lighter fluid. Worst case is it may need to be dis-assembled and flushed. If you're not comfortable with this have a competent gunsmith do it...

Wes